• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

Stelios

Very enjoyable afternoon, a big crowd often makes the experience more intense.

The turning point / difference was Maxted's save, a two pointer if ever there was. Also we "managed" the last 15 minutes much better today, upping the tempo briefly then slowing it down in the last few minutes. Shout out to Fisher for doing the job he was sent on to do really well.

With Atangana in the team in coming weeks we will be even stronger.

Onwards and upwards.
Yes Fisher took a lot of pressure off. He's not particularly mobile compared to Bowman (who was excellent) but he soaked up pressure just when we needed it. I thought Lee Martin worked tremendously hard but he's rarely in a position to score (because he's running about everywhere else). Needed more end product from Williams today. Not totally convinced by the Martin-Bowman-Williams trio. Seems a bit disjointed. Law a little subdued (such a shame he snatched at his chance).

We looked really solid at the back. Shout out to my main man Aaron Martin :love: But they were all good back there. I thought the midfield was a bit too porous at times but played well too.

As noted, I guess the Maxted save appeared to be more brilliant in the ground because 5,300 people immediately thought "goal" the second the striker headed it and just couldn't believe it when it didn't go in.

The ref was just too pernickety and treated any contact as a foul. It's a wet, slippery pitch in League 2 mate. Calm down. Let the 50/50s roll. Tell players who go down easily to get on with it and let the game flow.

SJP was eerily quiet for quite large parts of the game. Could hear a pin drop at times.

FGR are a tidy side and always had people in space to pass to. 1-1 would have been fair but since when is football fair?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
FGR are a tidy side and always had people in space to pass to. 1-1 would have been fair but since when is football fair?
Really! They had two good opportunities one which Martin blocked in the first half and the save. In the first fifteen minutes we should have been at least 2 up and then there was Law's "chip" which really he should have run with and composed himself better before attempting a pop at goal. So I would say 3=2 would have been fair

And as for being a tidy side they passed it around a lot but not to any great effect, reminiscent of latterday Tisdale's era with us. They also were a bit whingey playing the ref with the conditions to which he more often than not got duped.

I see from the FGR forum their fans didn't appreciate our reaction when their goalie was down but I wonder how they would have reacted if they were attacking and the ref stops play because the opposition goalie is down and then at the restart gives the ball back to the goalie who kicks it upfield! Definitely not in the spirit of things I would say

exeter-loyal

I see from the FGR forum their fans didn't appreciate our reaction when their goalie was down but I wonder how they would have reacted if they were attacking and the ref stops play because the opposition goalie is down and then at the restart gives the ball back to the goalie who kicks it upfield! Definitely not in the spirit of things I would say
The ball was still in play it wasn't a head injury so therefore it was a shocking decision by the ref. Even after it should have at least been a drop ball in the box.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Extended highlights.

GJW

Amazing to think that after the great start we have had this season we are still 1 point behind where we were last season after game 13, and we had scored 6 more goals. Still, I’m optimistic we’ll carry this through to the end of the season this time.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have watched a lot of live football, not necessarily at Exeter City, a lot of it in the Premership and old First Division, and I can honestly say that that save is one of the best saves, if not THE best that I have seen at a football match.
It was a very good save, but the centre back didn't mark the striker very well, to be honest : left him totally unmarked.

Red Devon

Amazing to think that after the great start we have had this season we are still 1 point behind where we were last season after game 13, and we had scored 6 more goals. Still, I’m optimistic we’ll carry this through to the end of the season this time.
Yes very surprising, but that was much to do with the Stockley effect overall we look a lot stronger as a squad!!

IndoMike

We didn't have the strength in depth that we have now. More competition for places, more cover for injury, and we had Stockley's goals until January. So plenty of grounds for optimism.

Red red

Enjoyed today’s game two teams going for it . We do have to take our chances though or it will bite us on the bum.
Maxted again was mom but I thought the whole team put a shift in.
I must say I think we were stiffeled by the ref bloody appalling.
I would also next time contest the drop ball if the ref does that.
I was also surprised we didn’t give away a penalty the way the ref penilized us but 3 points and we move on.
I do hope the league puts a strong ref on the next home game.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very good chance for them, very good save by Maxted who has been very good so far
Ant from I was sat
The ball was still in play it wasn't a head injury so therefore it was a shocking decision by the ref. Even after it should have at least been a drop ball in the box.
Exactly no difference from the Grimsby game when Archie Collins was fouled, left lying on the ground, while the ref played on.