• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Mansfield Town Matchday Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I enjoyed that. Good game to watch at St James Park. Deserved the 3 points. I'd have given man of the match to Dean Moxey.
I'm glad it was a good game to watch at St James Park, it was an atrocious game to watch via iFollow!

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an aside, that was an absolutely terrible game to watch. How on earth we're top of this league I'll never know! Totally toothless again up front.
One tooth, at least! :)

iscalad

Well, we may be top of the league, but I hope we can play a lot better than that. Missed Law's creativity. Nobody played badly but there were occasions when we were sloppy. We need to sort this out PDQ, or we will get found out by better teams.

dontpassback

Scrappy game,which we should have won by more and but for the woodwork we would have scored 3.defensivly very sound and we have opportunities going forward but Randell Williams seems to do the hard bit and then forgets what to do with the ball,so a clean sheet and 3 points oh and if Mansfield don’t play any better than today I can see their manager keeping his job !

Colesman Ballz

Scrappy game,which we should have won by more and but for the woodwork we would have scored 3.defensivly very sound and we have opportunities going forward but Randell Williams seems to do the hard bit and then forgets what to do with the ball,so a clean sheet and 3 points oh and if Mansfield don’t play any better than today I can see their manager keeping his job !
I can't !!!!!

grecIAN Harris

I enjoyed that. Good game to watch at St James Park. Deserved the 3 points. I'd have given man of the match to Dean Moxey.

Defence solid, Matt Jay doesn't offer what Law does.
You are joking aren't you?!?!?!?!??? Talk about Tisdale sides being frustrating for not killing games off? The most frustrating person on the pitch was Randall Williams. Somebody else said he did all the hard work and then didn't know what to do with the ball. It's because hasn't got a bloody right foot to do anything with the ball. He's so one footed it's painful. The only place he should be playing is wide on the left. Mind you, even when he had the chance to run at the central defender on his left foot he ballsed that up because he didn't know what to do. All he had to do was run past a cart horse paced centre half (anybody concerned about the speed of our central defensive partnerships, have a look at Mansfields. There's slow and then there's Mansfield slow) with a quick burst and he's in on goal to clinch the game. But no, he slows up, gives the centre half chance time to get himself set and then faffs about looking for support.
Square pegs in round holes and Matt Taylor needs to sort it out before one nil wins start becoming dropped points and defeats just as Tisdale suffered for periods during the season that invariably cost us vital points and positions.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You are joking aren't you?
Sorry to hear you were bored.
There were some great tussles out there, and I thought that Jay and Sparkes stood up to some hard tackling very well. Despite frustrations with Williams, I thought Lee Martin had some good ideas, not always backed up with players to receive a quick ball in to the box.

Last edited:

GJW

Thought the good people of Exeter would come out in force to watch this table-topping unbeaten team. Not today then. Still, on average crowds are higher than this time last season so mustn’t grumble too much. Pasty was nice today.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Defence solid, Matt Jay doesn't offer what Law does.
Definitely deserved the win and Dean Moxey was quite simply different class and put in a faultless performance.

Defence does look solid but there was one moment very late in the second half where we nearly conceded what would have been a very messy OG. Sweeney played the ball hard across his own penalty area the ball hit Aaron Martin on the back of his heel and ricocheted towards goal but fortunately straight into the hands of Ward.

My one concern was that our game management during the last few minutes was very poor. Every time we had the ball in our own penalty area, even when there was a clear opportunity to do so, instead of playing it out and trying to build an attack we decided to just hoof it forward straight to the head or feet of a Mansfield player to give them the opportunity to launch their own attack again.

grecIAN Harris

Defence does look solid but there was one moment very late in the second half where we nearly conceded what would have been a very messy OG. Sweeney played the ball hard across his own penalty area the ball hit Aaron Martin on the back of his heel and ricocheted towards goal but fortunately straight into the hands of Ward.
They've been working really hard on the training ground on that move.😉