• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stevenage A.F.C. V's Exeter City A.F.C. Official Match Day Thread. 10/08/2019

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Proper league two away win. Play carp, clean sheet, late goal.
Promotion form.
UTC!!!

ECFC89

Get in City.

We were boring.

Smash and grab is a load of ******** !!!! For that to happen the other team have to be vastly better than us. Which they weren't. Bit of quality went for us. A player who Matty T signed. Up the City.

Lot to work on, but hey ho only some people would not be happy after a 100% start to the season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
2 poor games but 6 points collected!

Old Hampshire Hog

For some reason, your maiden post is miniscule. See if the mods will enlarge the font. I need different glasses right now.
Thank you. Sorry new to all this! Just an old bloke who's had enough of the starting line up shenanigans. Good result of course, but we need to make a stand.

crocks

So Swindon top, Argyle 2nd and us 3rd..... would bite your hand off for the same at season end.

Ash

So sorry if this is not the right place to post. Please redirect me if needs be!
I have been an Exeter fan all 63 years of my life and despite keeping up with the forums, this is the first time I have ever officially joined and felt the need to write something. That was until today when I saw the team sheet. It is absolutely disgusting that Aaron Martin has been left out of the starting line up. Is it not a fairly known fact that if a team have won the previous game and kept a clean sheet, then the back line stays the same? Well what the hell has the poor guy done? I was at the game last week and despite not being at his absolute best (compared to many outstanding performances of his I witnessed early last season), he was easily our best defender on the pitch. Matty Taylor even commented on a few expected nerves throughout the team being the first game of the season. So how does he warrant the change in back line? Last season if you look back at when we were winning, our position in the league and when we started to decline, to me it clearly pinpoints to the moment that Martin was dropped. We all put this down to a falling out, because we couldn’t justify it to be anything based on his performances. But I had the pleasure of coincidently sitting next to his family during the Tranmere game, and I openly asked them what has gone on. They said, just like Aaron, no one has any idea what is going on. They said he is an incredibly level headed chap, very calm and has been very respectful of the managers selection choices. There has never been any altercation.

If we look at the managers refusal to drop other players who have shown week in week out last season (and last week) that they don’t deserve an automatic start, and now taking into account Mattys weird issue with Martin, I think we have the grounds as fans to use our voice to good and try and change the managers viewpoint.

Would anyone be up for starting a chant next week vs. Swindon at kickoff in support of Aaron Martin? Something along the lines of ‘Play Aaron Martin, Play Aaron Martin’. If anyone would like to lead this please do!
Welcome to Exeweb!
I agree it is pretty inexplicable. I spent most of last season pondering this very issue. I feel for Aaron and I rate him as a player, but to be honest I've spent enough time thinking about it now and I'm definitely not up for starting a chant about it. And let's not forget, we did keep a clean sheet again today so it's hard to question the defensive selections on this occasion.
Not sure you can put too much stock into what his family might be willing to share with a random fan at the ground either - they were hardly likely to say 'Aaron and Matt can't stand the sight of each other, but it's a 2 year contract so we're stuffed', even if that were the case.
Anyway, 6 points from 2 games, even if neither performance has been convincing, is a good start to the season!

crocks

Thank you. Sorry new to all this! Just an old bloke who's had enough of the starting line up shenanigans. Good result of course, but we need to make a stand.
Why?Personally I think we have better centre halves than Aaron Martin....just my opinion.

DB9

Why?Personally I think we have better centre halves than Aaron Martin....just my opinion.
And that is what this forum's all about, Opinions

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Phew. Well done City. I'll not complain about ending up with 3 points. (y)

StroudGrecian

So Swindon top, Argyle 2nd and us 3rd..... would bite your hand off for the same at season end.
Argyle are top crocks. Certainly do not want that at season end.