• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe Struggling (as ever)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I really, really try not to get wound up by your posts but I just can't help it. Surely you must have some sort of moral compass and there are certain companies/industries that you wouldn't want embedded on your club's shirts?

Again, surely you must be aware of the damage gambling addiction can and has caused? It's not as simple as people "making their own minds up".
I've never seen a bookmaker forcing someone into their shops or landlords pouring drinks down peoples throats ! While we're on the subject I don't ever remember watching the old Grand Prix racing and thinking to myself hmmm I must run down to the shops and buy a packet of John Player Specials or Benson and Hedges.

If I saw our club even for one season have a charity on their shirts I would think wow good on em for doing that and promoting a good cause for nothing , I imagine being probably the first club to do this ? the media coverage every time we were on the telly would be worth more than how much we get from sponsorship for a year !

Put the RBL , H4H or Great Ormond Street on our shirts and see possibly how many more shirts we sell if we were to give a donation from each sale to that charity !

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've never seen a bookmaker forcing someone into their shops
That's because they don't need to. It's not by chance that the growth of the gambling industry has coincided with technological advances so that anyone with a smartphone (i hate that word) can have easy, instant access to online bookies.

I'd imagine that younger people who've never gambled before are particularly susceptible to advertising, the bookies know this and that there is an ever-growing population to tap into with free bets or credit when you sign up.

I don't ever remember watching the old Grand Prix racing and thinking to myself hmmm I must run down to the shops and buy a packet of John Player Specials or Benson and Hedges.
Advertising isn’t just about trying to get someone to spend money on something for the first time, it’s also about trying to get people to switch brands/suppliers/whatever and if it didn’t work then no company would bother. But it does and they do.

Temporarily Exiled

Advertising isn’t just about trying to get someone to spend money on something for the first time, it’s also about trying to get people to switch brands/suppliers/whatever and if it didn’t work then no company would bother. But it does and they do.
Exactly. It's also about normalising certain behaviours.

Advertising constantly shows and tells us that it's the most natural thing in the world to whip out your smartphone at half time and make a bet on the number of corners, the next scorer, under or over 2.5 goals. If you'd done that in front of family on a laptop 10 years ago they'd probably think you have a problem, but even those who don't bet are being conditioned to accept addiction as part and parcel of the modern game.

Grecian2K

If I saw our club even for one season have a charity on their shirts I would think wow good on em for doing that and promoting a good cause for nothing , I imagine being probably the first club to do this ? the media coverage every time we were on the telly would be worth more than how much we get from sponsorship for a year ! !
So UNICEF is NOT a charity then? How naive of me to have ever thought so. Perhaps someone should alert Barcelona to this "fact"?

Or Hearts for that matter (sponsored by Save the Children)?

Still, never let the truth get in the way of a lovingly-nursed prejudice eh.

PS: And I'm old enough to remember when Fulham was even sponsored by one of those "evil" Trade Unions!

LOG

Aston Villa did it for two seasons a few years back with Acorns Children's Hospice on their shirts instead of a sponsor.

David Treharne

I would just observe that whatever happens in the future, the Trust negotiated shirt sponsorship deal with Flybe, is the longest lasting sponsorship in the era of shirt sponsorship for Exeter City. Apart from this deal the club has had a miserable series of failures with firms like TAJ Hibberd, and the Carlsberg sponsorship that was to cover a deficit in payments to a brewery. The Club has not been immune. subsequently, from sponsors who failed to pay for logos on shirts. It's been immensely beneficial to the Club, and in whatever guise it continues the airline too. The Directors had a meeting with Flybe after the Manchester United games in 2005 and the airline reckoned, conservatively, that the publicity attracted for them had been in excess of £4m. It's been mutually beneficial, especially when you factor in free flights.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aston Villa did it for two seasons a few years back with Acorns Children's Hospice on their shirts instead of a sponsor.
Didn't know that tbh Log ... as I don't watch other teams and what logo / sponsorship brand I wouldn't know if another team had done this previously.
Thank you for the information supplied.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good arguments about shirt sponsorship.

Stevenage have got Burger King on their shirts :D..With the current obesity crisis with junk food linked to cancer.
And don't you forget that methane produced by cows farting and belching is 23x worse to the climate than the carbon dioxide produced by cars.

https://ourfuture.energy/quiz/cows-vs-cars-answers/

Beef burgers must be banned from football league grounds immediately (boffin)

Anyone caught consuming a burger after whinging on this thread about climate change are bleeding hypocrites. ;)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Butter a cows a$$ and slap it between 2 rounds of doorstop bread, bloodier the better for me thanks.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
In other aviation news Carlisle Airport is now operating commercial passenger flights just in case anyone was ever considering chartering a flight up there.