• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
The economy is really important, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that it isn't the only issue. Brexit is also withdrawing from close relationships with our European counterparts......
^^^

Exactly. Merkel has been spelling out the importance of European ‘union’ , where the US, China and Russia are particularly concerned. The downsides to this folly go way beyond the economy.

arthur

^^^

Exactly. Merkel has been spelling out the importance of European ‘union’ , where the US, China and Russia are particularly concerned. The downsides to this folly go way beyond the economy.
The economy is really important, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that it isn't the only issue. Brexit is also withdrawing from close relationships with our European counterparts, it's diminishing the vibrancy of our cultural life, it's limiting the opportunities for our young people to live and work abroad - thus narrowing the minds, it's the unfriendly gesture and it's the diminishing of our ability to impact on issues like human rights.
Totally agree with both of these. The Remain campaign (prop. G. Osborne) never thought to mention any of this. The damage wrought by Brexit will be much and varied, but it's still Parliament's fault for not enabling this damage to happen (yet)....

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Totally agree with both of these. The Remain campaign (prop. G. Osborne) never thought to mention any of this. The damage wrought by Brexit will be much and varied, but it's still Parliament's fault for not enabling this damage to happen (yet)....
Could I just politely note that you are speaking in "factual" terms about something that hasn't yet happened. You may well be right, but you are speculating both in the post I've just quoted and your previous post about the "fact" about economic damage.

As others have pointed out, Brexit was, and is, not just about the economy in any case.

To counterpoint what has been said by others giving the downside of Brexit outside economic factors, for many Brexit is more political and related to the direction of political travel the EU is continuing with unabashed.*

*Which is perhaps why, in a recent survey, the majority of citizens of 14 EU countries believe the EU will not exist in 20 years' time, even if they themselves are pro-EU.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting survey of Conservative members on who they'd vote for as next leader (using something akin to the AV system) - I say interesting because I participated...!:

https://medium.com/@DavidJeffery_/how-would-conservative-party-members-rank-prospective-leadership-candidates-d1a4371670fc?fbclid=IwAR2MwtZ0kOWFl4aYrGHJC1HheEJ0rLDtWvSZop2jDpHKNmdJkkHoFOoyG9U

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
An interesting survey of Conservative members on who they'd vote for as next leader (using something akin to the AV system) - I say interesting because I participated...!:

https://medium.com/@DavidJeffery_/how-would-conservative-party-members-rank-prospective-leadership-candidates-d1a4371670fc?fbclid=IwAR2MwtZ0kOWFl4aYrGHJC1HheEJ0rLDtWvSZop2jDpHKNmdJkkHoFOoyG9U
Dominic Raab... Lord help us...

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
As a right-of-centre voter, I would have to concede that a few of the candidates for Conservative Party leader aren't that great.

arthur

Yes, interesting indeed. D Raab - someone who has risen without trace. He is a bit like Brexit - there are perceived plus points but no-one can identify them.

The MPs will only give you a choice of two. Who do you think they'll be?

Temporarily Exiled

Which is perhaps why, in a recent survey, the majority of citizens of 14 EU countries believe the EU will not exist in 20 years' time, even if they themselves are pro-EU.
The survey found that almost 92% of voters thought they would lose out if the EU collapsed.
It's pretty telling that voters understand that politicians will actively work against their interests.

But I'm sure the EU will crack. Any day now. Aaaaany day now.

Last edited:

DB9

The survey found that almost 92% of voters thought they would lose out if the EU collapsed.
It's pretty telling that voters understand that politicians will actively work against their interests.

But I'm sure the EU will crack. Any day now. Aaaaany day now.
Don't forget we were told by some it would be the EU that would "Blink" first ��

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Don't forget we were told by some it would be the EU that would "Blink" first ��
No point in blinking if there is no one in front of you. Once we actually leave then and only then will the EU come calling.
At this moment they are laughing their heads off at us ..... Look at ze stupid Englander tommies ze people zay achtung leave but ze swinehund gestapo leaders say nine you will not leave until ve zay zo.

Status
Not open for further replies.