• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is this in paperback?
Sadly not , hardback , but picked up for about a fiver just before Christmas.

iscalad

Sadly not , hardback , but picked up for about a fiver just before Christmas.
Thanks. I'll wait then

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
“The Deal”

It’s an inside look into the role agents play in today’s football transfers. This is an area that interests me as it’s good to get a bit of an inside view about what goes on during negotiations.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hunter Killers: The Dramatic Untold Story Of The Royal Navy's Most Secret Service. By Iain Ballantyne

There are two classes of nuclear submarines that are fought in a very different fashion. Firstly there's the SSBN which which carry nuclear tipped missiles and who stealthily go on patrol (usually about 8 weeks duration) doing their level best never to be tracked or located. Then there is the SSN whose primary role is to locate and destroy enemy warships, be they SSN's or surface units before they can cause harm.

It's interesting to note that a SSN has 2 crews and that 24 hours after a patrol finishes the next crew up is in control while both crews combine to resupply the essentials before it once again resumes patrol.

Tim Long

Felix the Railway Cat, By Kate Moore. About the cat that lives at Huddersfield railway station. Don't judge me :) I was on holiday when I selected it, and wanted something easy to read. All I had unread on my Kindle was some stuff written by George Orwell, wasn't in the mood!
When the Telegraph had an article about it, it was in the Lifestyle section aimed at 'Men'.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/meet-felix-huddersfield-station-cat-100000-followers-book-deal/

Unless that's because most trainspotters are men, of course ;-)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by By Philip Carlo

Richard Kuklinski claimed to have killed over 200 people while claiming many to be Mafia contracts. One such contract claimed was the boss of one of New York's five "families."

Kuklinski earned the name 'iceman' because many of his victims were dumped in freezers so confusing their time of death. He used clubs, guns, knives (nape of neck and upwards into the brain) while aerosols containing cyanide was also popular (clean and quick). For those who wanted the 'hit' to suffer before death he take the victim to a rural New Jersey cave, pegged them to the ground, set up lights and a camera and film rats eating them alive.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Now slowing down on my commuter time reading by getting the Metro in the morning in order to do the Su Doku puzzles and reading on the way home. To that end yesterday I just finished my Christmas present book, which was the Peter Crouch book "How to be a Footballer" - very entertaining, particularly the bit about John Carew's tattoo.

This evening I'll be restarting a book I bought for holiday reading a few years back only to read about the first third of it - by David Mitchell (the comedian and very lucky husband rather than the author).
The Mitchell book, a collection of his newspaper columns, was quite disappointing, no wonder I didn't get through it on holiday that time!

Since read another Frederick Forsyth thriller - The Cobra - about an attempt to rid the world of Cocaine. Very good.

Now reading Iain Banks' "Transition". So far so odd.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew Taylor.

Boy am I struggling with this one.

Banksy

Painting the Darkness , Robert Goddard.Long lost , believed dead , son comes back to fight for his baronetcy.
Is he or isn’t he the heir , that is the question. Six hundred well written pages and although I think I ‘ve guessed what will happen two thirds in , I ‘m still enjoying it

iscalad

Painting the Darkness , Robert Goddard.Long lost , believed dead , son comes back to fight for his baronetcy.
Is he or isn’t he the heir , that is the question. Six hundred well written pages and although I think I ‘ve guessed what will happen two thirds in , I ‘m still enjoying it
An 8/10 book for me.