• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Can't agree with that. Most of those countries have axes to grind, and aren't exactly in love with all things UK. Look at how India operates in negotiations and how long they take. In fact, they are more likely to strike a deal with the EU now that the UK's objections to sky high whisky tariffs and a more liberal visa policy are more or less removed from the equation.

And please don't suggest that deals with Can, Aus, NZ etc will provide more opportunity and return than those already in place with the EU. That's without even going down the road of what will be lost with many smaller economies that will lose FTA access to the UK through their EBA (no tariffs or quotas) agreements with the EU (which aren't ready to be rolled over in the event of a hard Brexit/no deal).
There seems to be this assumption that we'll simply stop trading with the EU (if and!) when we leave - this is clearly not the case, much as we already trade beyond the EU to an increasing degree (trade with the EU is declining as a %age of our international trade anyway).

I say CANZUK as they're our more "traditional" trading partners and are, by and large, very eager to do a deal as it would be to mutual benefit.

In other news, Guido screamed out "Rees-Mogg defects to Brexit Party" - only it's JRM's sister doing so.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
As I've oft stated, we have plenty of opportunity to do deals that would be of more mutual benefit e.g. CANZUK, Commonwealth states etc.
You can trot out the company line as often as you like; to suggest there are opportunities for global 'deals' that would be more mutually beneficial than that which we enjoy today within the EU single market is preposterous, and you know it.

elginCity

There seems to be this assumption that we'll simply stop trading with the EU (if and!) when we leave - this is clearly not the case....
Assumption by whom ? Common sense dictates that we'll become significantly less competitive, with imposed non-tariff trade barriers, that will ultimately negatively affect trade with EU countries.

arthur

Remember what David Lammy said. "India and China will want three things as part of any trade deal with us - visas, visas and visas"

Terryhall

We will continue to trade with the EU. It will cost us more.

We will be able to enter into trade deals with other countries. It will cost us more than it did as an EU member state.

The deals will also take a long time to conclude, and in the absence of a deal with the EU to remain under the existing trade framework in some way shape or form, we will trade on WTO terms, which will cost us much more.

I've yet to see any coherent rebuttal of these relatively obvious conclusions, and yet still they come forth as if this were a good thing. It isn't.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
There seems to be this assumption that we'll simply stop trading with the EU (if and!) when we leave - this is clearly not the case, much as we already trade beyond the EU to an increasing degree (trade with the EU is declining as a %age of our international trade anyway).

I say CANZUK as they're our more "traditional" trading partners and are, by and large, very eager to do a deal as it would be to mutual benefit.

In other news, Guido screamed out "Rees-Mogg defects to Brexit Party" - only it's JRM's sister doing so.
See that's just daft. No-one suggested that we'd stop trading with Europe. You gone all UKIP? You can't, however, suggest that we will do more trade with Canada than the EU. Declining percentages? That means nothing. EU markets have been exploited for decades, within the world's best, biggest and most diverse trading block.

As travel, exporting, data sharing and communication becomes easier and cheaper, you would naturally expect other, further afield markets to be exploited to a greater extent. You won't, though, negotiate better deals as a trading entity one tenth the size of that you are leaving. Size really is everything Jason. You should know that. (rofl)

IndoMike

BORIS JOHNSON BEING UNTRUTHFUL YET AGAIN....ENTITLED TO LIE?
The Daily Telegraph has been forced to correct a column by Boris Johnson after the Brexiter MP and potential Tory leadership candidate falsely claimed a no-deal Brexit was the most popular option for the British public.

The claim was made in a column (£) published in January but has since been removed from the online version after a complaint by a member of the public to the press regulator Ipso.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We will continue to trade with the EU. It will cost us more.

We will be able to enter into trade deals with other countries. It will cost us more than it did as an EU member state.

The deals will also take a long time to conclude, and in the absence of a deal with the EU to remain under the existing trade framework in some way shape or form, we will trade on WTO terms, which will cost us much more.

I've yet to see any coherent rebuttal of these relatively obvious conclusions, and yet still they come forth as if this were a good thing. It isn't.
Point 1: How? If you're talking tariff regimes, remember that the UK is (currently) massively a net importer from the EU. Any extra costs incurred would be more than recouped.
Point 2: Why?
Point 3: See Point 1 re: costs. The length of time it takes to conclude trade deals is because currently we are operating as a diverse entity where the needs of nearly 30 diverse nations (plus subsets - see Wallonia re: Canada) have to be taken into account. The FTA with Mexico, for example, is being held up due to a row with Spain over the production of Manchego.

Personally I don't want to see the UK trading on WTO terms, which is why I'm disappointed May's WA hasn't (yet) been ratified by Parliament. I do, however, wish for the referendum result to be honoured and for the UK to leave the EU.

My reasons for wishing for the UK to leave the EU aren't necessarily economic rather political. Hence why I wish for us to not burn our bridges and to maintain a close trading arrangement that will be to mutual benefit (or at least not to mutual harm).

And I maintain that 10 years after leaving we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

IndoMike

I'm afraid Jason in his desire to rise in the ranks of his lord and masters (the Tory Party) has lost all grip on reality and regurgitates a constant flow of BS to try and justify the Tory line.
Everyone knows that the EU is by far our biggest trade partner and we will suffer if we lose that trade.
I notice that Jason never reacts to the fact that Foxy Fox promised to set up over 40 trade deals by March 31st but has so far only arranged around 7 !!
If Jason was objective he would surely be shocked by that fact, but oh no - he does "the ostrich" instead. Don't worry Jason : I don't think the Tory hierarchy read Exeweb!

Last edited:

elginCity

.....the Brexiter MP and potential Tory leadership candidate falsely claimed a no-deal Brexit was the most popular option for the British public......
The Vulcan went even further than that, claiming 'polling evidence' of 'no deal' being the preferred choice of the peoples of Brexit Island.

Charlatans, one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.