• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid Jason in his to rise in the ranks of his lord and masters the Tory Party has lost all grip on reality and regurgitates a constant flow of BS to try and justify the Tory line.
Everyone knows that the EU is by far our biggest trade partner and we will suffer if we lose that trade.
I notice that Jason never reacts to the fact that Foxy Fox promised to set up over 40 trade deals by March 31st but has so far only arranged around 7 !!
If Jason was objective he would surely be shocked by that fact, but oh no - he does "the ostrich" instead. Don't worry Jason : I don't think the Tory hierarchy read Exeweb!
Ah, the usual Friday off-piste rant.

And see - someone IS saying we'd "lose the trade" with the EU.

The trade deals thing is related to the UK leaving on March 29th without a deal, but aside from mutual recognition deals with several major nations, Fox *did* fall short, I accept this. The reasons are, I presume, multiple but I don't know what they are without digging more deeply into it. Presumably there's long been an assumption we will do a deal, which buys us more time.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Assumption by whom ? Common sense dictates that we'll become significantly less competitive, with imposed non-tariff trade barriers, that will ultimately negatively affect trade with EU countries.
So do you think EU countries, who as a bloc export significantly more to the UK than the UK exports to them, will decide not to bother with one of their key export markets?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ah, the usual Friday off-piste rant.

And see - someone IS saying we'd "lose the trade" with the EU.

The trade deals thing is related to the UK leaving on March 29th without a deal, but aside from mutual recognition deals with several major nations, Fox *did* fall short, I accept this. The reasons are, I presume, multiple but I don't know what they are without digging more deeply into it. Presumably there's long been an assumption we will do a deal, which buys us more time.
Thank you for your response. Since future trade deals are extremely important for the nation's economy and jobs I really think you should indeed dig more deeply : it is no small matter that Fox has failed so miserably to keep his promise, and yet the bloke keeps insisting we leave the EU with NO DEAL so we can be free to make the deals. Ironic, what?

elginCity

Point 1: How? If you're talking tariff regimes, remember that the UK is (currently) massively a net importer from the EU. Any extra costs incurred would be more than recouped......
Eh ? From where exactly would the 'extra costs' incurred by businesses be 'more than recouped' ? Tory Government subsidies++ ?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Point 1: How? If you're talking tariff regimes, remember that the UK is (currently) massively a net importer from the EU. Any extra costs incurred would be more than recouped.
Point 2: Why?
Point 3: See Point 1 re: costs. The length of time it takes to conclude trade deals is because currently we are operating as a diverse entity where the needs of nearly 30 diverse nations (plus subsets - see Wallonia re: Canada) have to be taken into account. The FTA with Mexico, for example, is being held up due to a row with Spain over the production of Manchego.

Personally I don't want to see the UK trading on WTO terms, which is why I'm disappointed May's WA hasn't (yet) been ratified by Parliament. I do, however, wish for the referendum result to be honoured and for the UK to leave the EU.

My reasons for wishing for the UK to leave the EU aren't necessarily economic rather political. Hence why I wish for us to not burn our bridges and to maintain a close trading arrangement that will be to mutual benefit (or at least not to mutual harm).

And I maintain that 10 years after leaving we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Which exporting company is going to be able to recoup those tariffs? The weight of the UK leaving the single market and customs union is going to be shared (in varying degrees) by 27 nations. There is not one that is going to be as negatively impacted as UK plc.

New trade deals will cost more because we won't have as much bargaining power.

Wallonia isn't holding up Indian trade negotiations (though this area, I grant you, is one of particular EU bureaucratic weakness. Though it does tend to blow the "but we've got no power" thing our of the water when an area as small as Wallonia can hold things up because they don't suit the people of that area).

And on the last point, I don't think we will actually leave now, so that becomes mute.

Grecian2K

I see Nigel "No-more-Mr-Nice-Guy" Fartage has officially entered the fray again.

UKIP had better Batten down the hatches I reckon?!

Mind you, As an Alice Cooper fan I'm looking forward to the musical playlist at his rallies (if NOTHING else) ;)

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I see Nigel "No-more-Mr-Nice-Guy" Fartage has officially entered the fray again.

Mind you, As an Alice Cooper fan I'm looking forward to the musical playlist at his rallies (if NOTHING else) ;)
Like a dodgy car dealer that folds his company when people come calling for a refund, only to reappear a short while later with a new company selling, err, dodgy cars.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member

"...it's time to send a message to the establishment!"

Here is our first candidate, Annunziata Rees-Mogg who;

Is the sister of very wealthy politician Jacob Rees-Mogg
Daughter of disaster capitalist and former editor of The Times, Sir William Rees-Mogg
Deputy editor of Money Week
Joined the Conservative Party at 5 (five) years of age

Last edited:

IndoMike

Any further divisions of the right wing is to be welcomed. I imagine Farage will win the battle with UKIP, which will further isolate UKIP.

IndoMike

My understanding is that his room was small and pretty basic and deprived of sunlight. Natural light is very important for health and psychological reasons. Not being able to go out and stretch his legs in the park is a kind of deprivation, too. Yes the embassy is just behind Harrods, but that doesn't mean anything, I don't particularly like him and he can't be surprised that he has ended up like this : I'm just basing my comments on the fact that his living conditions must have affected his health and mind, especially the fear of extradition to the US, which is why he asked for asylum in the first place.
Just to improve my comment above, he asked for asylum for 2 reasons, of course : to avoid being extradited to Sweden on the rape charges and further to avoid extradition from Sweden to the US on whatever charges they would lay before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.