• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale V Taylor

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think that nowadays the South West has become more "Trendy" (You only have to see how high house prices are) How many times do you see on TV that the SW always comes up as a ideal place to bring up families? I'd understand if young, single footballers want to be near their mates, night life etc but when they settle down, Married and start a family i think priorities change and TBH i would imagine Devon would be a very attractive proposition. The UK is not that big a place to travel around, There is social media, Skype to keep in contact with family members and now the travel links are better than what they were back in the 70's & 80's. (Even though the A35/ A303 are a bugger to drive down)

sidney

I suspect many people who come to live and work in Devon, get very fed up with their friends and family descending upon them, anxious to come and spend a free holiday in our part of the world...

Red Bill

Rather than Exeter being a hard sell I think it just comes down to practicalities.

Exeter want to sign Player X. He has interest from 5 clubs. 4 of those clubs are within a 2 hour drive of his home/family. The 5th club is in Devon and is a 4 hour drive away.
You're probably right, but am I the only one who when he left home wanted to get as far away from home and family as possible! I expect the pampered kids of today see it differently though!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was very appreciative of the fans....twice...That's a new one.
That's expectation for you, he isn't at little old ECFC now.

100milesaway

He was very appreciative of the fans....twice...That's a new one.
He can’t afford to annoy the fans at MK
I’m surprised they are still supportive as they are sinking fast

DB9

He can’t afford to annoy the fans at MK
I’m surprised they are still supportive as they are sinking fast
To be fair, The MK fans haven't been fans long enough to know how to moan about results, manager etc

dontpassback

They have high expectations,and I expect some thought they would zoom back into league one considering the money they have spent,they may well go up ,but if Tisdale doesn’t sort it out soon the rumblings will get louder !

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A look at their fan’s FB group shows the rumblings have already started.

IndoMike

The way Tizzy spoke in his interview indicates that promotion is expected (unsurprisingly) : 'time running out"; "points gap"..
MKD fans are starting to question his team selections and substitutions. Seems like they think their best hope is Healey returning from Cardiff.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rather than Exeter being a hard sell I think it just comes down to practicalities.

Exeter want to sign Player X. He has interest from 5 clubs. 4 of those clubs are within a 2 hour drive of his home/family. The 5th club is in Devon and is a 4 hour drive away.
I think for all the talk of quality of life etc this is still the biggest factor. If, for example, a player signs for Macclesfield and settles in the area he knows that if it does not work out he will have a choice of probably a dozen clubs within reasonable distance without having to re-locate. Compare that to someone like David Wheeler who chose to settle in Bristol. After enduring two hours plus on the m5 everyday while with us he has then gone on to play for three relatively local clubs but all of them are probably too far to commute to daily.

I also wonder if the away travel is a factor. Again taking the example of Macclesfield their average away trip is 90 miles meaning that for most games the players don't have to worry about staying overnight before a game and can be back home at a reasonable time afterwards.
http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/LeagueMap.asp?League=L2

We do have some advantages, though. Our repuation for developing and improving players is clearly an attraction and I get the impression that young players are well looked after off the pitch as well. Our record of stability is very important as well. Someone like Eric Kinder is happy to move south knowing that it is unlikely he will be out of a job after a few months. Compare that to Kwame Ampadu who gave up a secure job at Arsenal to move to France and is now presumably unemployed.

Last edited: