• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Was letting go of Norwood the Tisdale's biggest mistake?

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Liverpool first XI is the only blunder that gets close in my opinion. And even then I can see the logic behind playing an experienced team even though it was a huge mistake.
#stillfuming

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Tisdale dropped many a ******* while as manager , not winning at home for nearly a year, the fa cup exit to Warrington , the side selected against Liverpool & the “proper chaps” line being some of the most memorable....

Letting Norwood go doesn’t really count as one in all fairness - rumours at that point was that Norwood probably didn’t have the “dedication” required to be a pro....all credit to the lad though who at 27 now has gone onto score 100+ in his last 270 games and is now league 2’s top scorer

Antony Moxey

Would agree with Creds. 1931 player (IIRC) who just didn’t make the grade, we were right to release him. I know Tisdale kept players well beyond their sell by date, but at least in most cases they’d been established at least somewhere before spending two years on the C&F treatment table - how long should we have persevered with an unknown and unproven Norwood?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
4-5 games in 2 seasons? The right decision

AlanDevlin

Someone saw some good in Norwood while he was with us as a 1931 funded player - it was Sir Rob that signed him for Tranmere - so Norwood has spent a couple more years there learning his trade before finally coming good.

Red Bill

Not true. I spoke to Tis about this. We offered £100k. Scum accepted. Then realised Sturrock was due 20% and asked us to stump up more. We couldn't afford more.
He told us a slightly different story. i.e. "they wanted £120k, I offered £80k. I reckon I could have got him for £100k but the club couldn't afford the extra £20K". Not saying this is the correct version of events, but it was what he told us.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Someone saw some good in Norwood while he was with us as a 1931 funded player - it was Sir Rob that signed him for Tranmere - so Norwood has spent a couple more years there learning his trade before finally coming good.
No it wasn't.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hope he bags a hat trick against The Cheese’s Franchise, but no, not in the Top 10 of Tisdale’s ******* Drops

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
'Gary Brabin, the man who brought Norwood to Prenton Park' - Wiki could be wrong could be right but definately not Sir Rob who departed Tranmere in October 2014 (whilst Norwood was still at FGR) but why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Why this thread exists is a huge puzzle as the release of Norwood was no where near any of Tiswas's biggest mistakes.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
... rumours at that point was that Norwood probably didn’t have the “dedication” required to be a pro....
He wouldn't do as he was bleeding told! I was the only Greek sat in Swindon's Arkell stand when he turned out for the stiffs against those of Swindon. Stevie P and Tis were furious because he simply wouldn't obey instructions. I thought Perryman was on a pogo stick the way he was jumping up and down shouting "James, Get forrrwwward!