• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

First football kits when you were a kid

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
When I was a very little lad, my father brought me home a football shirt from a visit to London. An Arsenal one, I guess, as it was red with white edging. My response was to throw it on the floor! Not because of any anti-Arsenal prejudice, but because I hated being given clothes as a present. My mother suggested that I might care to examine the merchandise more closely. Not long afterwards, somebody gave me a green and white shirt, although I can't remember who the guilty party was.

Terryhall

First one I bought for myself was a retro style Germany 1990 kit. Still got it today and still (just about) fit into it.

Pretty sure at some point in my youth, I was purchased a (gasp) Manchester United kit by a parent but never really took to them and ultimately settled on ECFC (but as a 12 year old in Yorkshire, ECFC merch was not straightforward to obtain)

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
West Ham circa 1970. Hurst, Moore and Peters had left an early impression. Had a West Ham kit bag to keep it in too.

grecIAN Harris

City circa 85/86 was my first one. I can't say as I've owned many. A Newcastle one from about 2005 and another City one from about five years back and that's about it.

Last edited:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
John Stocker Junior Boys School, Dunsford Hill, Exeter, 1964. Proud to have worn the shirt and to have been top scorer. Unfortunately the school was burnt down many years later.
I hope you scored against the Express & Echo's golden boys, Ladysmith.

edindevon

I had a Cowdenbeath away shirt when I was a kid, my mum bought it for me at a jumble sale in Cheriton Fitzpaine.

tavyred

Crystal Palace (team of the 80’s :)) admiral home shirt circa 79/80. The white one with the blue and red ‘sash’. Loved it.

DB9

Crystal Palace (team of the 80’s :)) admiral home shirt circa 79/80. The white one with the blue and red ‘sash’. Loved it.
Or as Danny Baker called it "The Thunderbird Strip"

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
First one I bought for myself was a retro style Germany 1990 kit. Still got it today and still (just about) fit into it.

Pretty sure at some point in my youth, I was purchased a (gasp) Manchester United kit by a parent but never really took to them and ultimately settled on ECFC (but as a 12 year old in Yorkshire, ECFC merch was not straightforward to obtain)
Not Anderlecht? ;)

Terryhall

Not Anderlecht? ;)
Suspect I have been whooshed but struggling to figure out any Belgium connection... :S