• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bad news

Exe on Valdez

Another four years of the Tories to endure. Another two and a half years of Trump and now JMT walks away for nothing. At the moment it feels like we are going to be stuck in League 2 forever.

Herbie65

Please come and take James
take one - get another one free

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I find it distasteful the way that the serial PT apologists continue to protect 'their man' even when he has clearly done less than his fiduciary duty to his employers. To allow a player to insert such a clause wasn't just incompetent it was potentially financially damaging...He was employed to protect the club's interest and he clearly did not see it that way.
I think to label flakey's post as distasteful is rather over the top nor is it protecting anyone. You're being far too fragile about it Malc. It also isn't helpful calling those who did support the previous manager 'serial apologists'. You and others would be up in arms if you were labelled in such a way. What I am interested in though, seeing as you have given vent to such outrage, is how you might have acted differently.
Scenario Malc. JMT is out of contract in a few months and has turned down the best contract you have offered. Maybe his agent is whispering in his ear, but he is adamant that he wants to play above the club's current level. You meanwhile really want to keep him and would rather he didn't go on a free if you can help it. Add to that the club is challenging for promotion and being in L1 might, just might, help the problem. What would you do?

Last edited:

geoffwp

Obviously disappointing to lose JMT in this strange way but he's not irreplaceable. He's a good defender at this level and I'm sure he will do well for MK but he's 25 next season, he would have been picked up by a higher club long before now if they felt he was good enough. Especially now he was available for nothing it shows either League 1 clubs weren't interested or a lack of ambition from him. If he's happy to hang around in the lower divisions then he's not the type of player we should be looking to keep/sign and if he's more interested in playing for Tisdale than Exeter then it's for the best he leaves and any others who feel that way should also go.
I think this is a very reasoned post.

andrew p long

The underlying problem is of course the effect of the Bosman ruling which now means that players over the age of 24 can walk away at the expiry of their contract on a free transfer. We have lost players down the years who have just refused to sign a new contract when ,if under contract, they might be worth a lot of money.

Amongst those who have walked away for free IIRC there was a previous captain/central defender who did just that, even though with ECFC he'd gone from being a non league player to League One - he then moved sideways for free to another League One side (presumably for more money and a better chance of promotion, which was duly achieved)- when if he'd signed another contract he'd have been worth a six figure fee. I hope we don't hold that against him.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The underlying problem is of course the effect of the Bosman ruling which now means that players over the age of 24 can walk away at the expiry of their contract on a free transfer. We have lost players down the years who have just refused to sign a new contract when ,if under contract, they might be worth a lot of money.

Amongst those who have walked away for free IIRC there was a previous captain/central defender who did just that, even though with ECFC he'd gone from being a non league player to League One - he then moved sideways for free to another League One side (presumably for more money and a better chance of promotion, which was duly achieved)- when if he'd signed another contract he'd have been worth a six figure fee. I hope we don't hold that against him.
Don't hold anything against Taylor for moving to Charlton, don't hold anything against JMT for moving to MKD. I am deeply disturbed by what looks to be a contract offer put together by people who are no longer at the club offering a salary upgrade and a pay-out to an agent with no benefit to the club. To me it looks like money has been taken out of the club because the individuals had loyalty to each other over and above the club's interests. It's fine for people to look out for themselves when they're out of contract. What's not fine is looking out for their mates with the clubs chequebook in their hand.

Grecian2K

Donning hard-hat here but I do think that the club should still consider a suitable memorial for all that Tisdale has done for (and now TO) our club.

So how about naming the new facilities in the "triangle" the PAUL TISDALE MEMORIAL URINALS? To give us the chance to do to him what he is doing to us. I'd happily "spend a penny" every game for such a fitting cause.

IndoMike

I think this is a very reasoned post.
If Tisdale didn't decide he wanted to leave City to join MKD until after the Coventry debacle, and if he didn't speak to players or their agents about them leaving City for MKD until after the Coventry game, then I think we couldn't be angry about the matter. But if he already knew he was going to MKD and already discussed with players about leaving City to sign for MKD in my mind that would be shameful. Do you agree?

Last edited:

Banksy

Nice one apl !

IndoMike

For me it's all about the chronology of the sequence of events. Was everything done transparently and ethically or was there skullduggery?

Last edited: