• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln City vs Exeter City - Match Day Thread.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a good day that was yesterday really friendly atmosphere in the Fan Zone before the match, don’t think I ever seen a league 2 ground rocking like that before and during the game in several decades of following City away from home that big stand to the right of the away end was visably bouncing at times the City fans also gave everything we had despite being outnumbered nearly ten to one...special mention for the drummer he was outstanding before during and after the game.

On to the game thought we started on the front foot in a very positive fashion...though Jayden should have scored midway through the first half with probably our only clear cut chance of the half we were definitely the better side in the first 45 minutes though...Second half belonged to Lincoln and probably should have a got a couple themselves...thought Tisdale got his tactics spot on we had a good shape about us and were very disaplined going foward and in Stockley we had someone who looked like he could get a goal....overall a very good result for at a very difficult place to go and play...MoM HARLEY.

UTC!

Last edited:

elginCity

The Imps have used that siren for donkey's years up in RAF country, it's novel and different, so fine by me. That said, at the game yesterday didn't hear the damned thing at all, as our support was that constant throughout !

Although JMT is still rusty, he offers a presence and surety at the back that gives the whole team confidence. The defence was solid, Moxey and Storey especially so. The midfield axis of Boeteng and Harley worked well together and although James is ponderous and wayward on occasion, his positional play and anticipation is generally very good. I thought Taylor unusually quiet, expecting him to be on fire for the second leg. Stockley misfiring is a concern, just hope it's a mere blip.

Puzzled by the Boeteng substitution, but turned out alright and he'll have more in the tank for the second leg as will Stockley who needed support up top from Simpson late on.

The Imps looked nervous, of lot of passes going astray and over anxious in front of goal, but they'll be a different proposition for the second leg.

Can't wait !

Leads

Would have taken 0-0 before the game so I can’t complain too much but I am going to have a few moans. I will start with the positives: Harley- he is so crucial to how Tisdale wants to play, pretty much all of our attacking play comes through him. Always shows for the ball and links up well with Boateng. I thought Boateng did ok, very strong on the ball but I think his mobility could be improved. I think Stockley did fairly well with limited service and he will regret not going for that chance with the inside of his foot. Pym played well- he is too good for L2 IMO. Wouldn’t be surprised if a Champ club came in with an offer for him. Negatives- we really do lack pace. Thought James was poor, Taylor a bit meh and I’m just not convinced about Tillson. A lot of praise for the ref I see. I thought we were lucky not to concede a penalty when JMT climbed all over the top of Rhead. I think some of the criticism of Rhead is unfair, I wouldn’t call him a bully, it was just a good lower league battle and he was unfortunate not to score. I watched the game on Sky and the coverage was quite funny- marketing the game as this massive contrast of styles- in reality we spent a lot of the game hitting it long to Stockley just as we have all season.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any praise for Tis's team selection and tactics on here? Moxey at left back showed all his experience and was very composed and determined. Harley probably had his best game of the season and as a fan of his even I was surprised. He didn't stay on the left, which was key to his performance, and just looked a lot sharper than he has done. Jordan Storey was a slight risk given his lack of experience and he did have a couple of "moments" but overall dealt well with the physical threat of Lincoln's front line. Stockley was isolated up front, especially second half, but worked well to bring in the midfield with passes and layoffs especially early on. Boateng had a couple of brilliant moments, especially setting up Stockley for our best chance. Tillson and James protected the defence really well, although second half the midfield was much less of a unit and more desperate to get the ball away than they should have been.

Pym, Moxey and Harley were brilliant for me, real big game players and stepped up for the occasion. I think we were overall a bit lucky to come away with a draw but if we can build a great atmosphere on Thursday (like Carlisle last season) we can lift all the players. Their defensive midfield was weak yesterday, giving away far too much space on the edge of the box and we need to exploit that.

DB9

I found the TV coverage really frustrating as the main camera seemed miles away from the pitch and i did wish we played in our other away shirt as I'm much more use to that one, Every now and then i had to look tiwce and realise we weren't in red and white shirts.

STURTZ

Still not clever enough to understand the James, Tilson thing and why they are so important to the team. I'd be shocked to think that we haven't got a player in our youth set up that couldn't do what James does.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
There now follows a moan-fest of a match report from a Lincoln fan with backache.

You can tell.
https://staceywest.net/2018/05/12/dont-make-me-watch-on-sky-again-please-imps-0-0-exeter/

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Highlights

[video=youtube;0EbuLgzWjaE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbuLgzWjaE[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbuLgzWjaE

Rog H K

75th anniversary of the Dambusters Raid on Thursday when we play them again. Will they be bringing their air raid siren with them?

IndoMike

75th anniversary of the Dambusters Raid on Thursday when we play them again. Will they be bringing their air raid siren with them?
The Dambusters theme would be a good one for when the teams come out. Or "The boys are back in town".