• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln City vs Exeter City - Match Day Thread.

Well-known Exeweb poster
They didn't look like a footballing side to me the ref was excellent I would think he'll been doing prem stuff in the future plus a decent display by the lads under difficult circumstances.
yeah was MAJORLY impressed with the ref, think he's the best ive seen at any level for a while, absolutely saw through lincoln's old school nonsense and didn't bac down and got most right , think it will be the younger school refs will do a lot to move the game on ,,, dont suppose we could have him i hesitate to say w,, just leave it at the near future

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I am pretty happy with the draw, definitely would have taken it at 3pm.

We looked the better side first half and felt we should have gone into half time with a lead. Harley did everything right to get his opportunity but the effort was far too tame, frustrating that he didn't put his foot through it. Stockley's chance was really good, not sure why he didn't try to head it, should have scored or at least made the keeper work from there. He had another chance just after from a long ball but that was harder to keep down the way the ball came to him.

It looked like Lincoln were fired up at start of second half, and we took a while to react. Lincoln should have scored at least one themselves early on. Pym was a smart save, rhead hitting the bar with keeper stranded and another chance wasted from close range off target. For us stockley didn't foul his man but finished very well, shame it was never going to count, and Taylor was unlucky to be denied after Harley's long shot.

Late on we were probably happy to settle. I think for Thursday we need someone playing up with stockley, maybe someone like Matt Jay would cause them problems and give stockley more space. He is the key as they couldn't stop him without fouling. It will all depend if we can get decent delivery to him to get him the chances. It could be very tight and nervy and first goal could be crucial although whoever scores may well change the pattern of the game. I feel we are good enough to get through as don't think Lincoln are anything special, glad we have the home advantage as wouldn't rule out extra time although praying it doesn't come to penalties unless we are losing late in the day.

Sat on train back to Chesterfield chatting to a guy who is also from Chesterfield and is Lincoln's Luke Waterfalls dad.
He says that was best performance seen by an away side at Lincoln this season and Boateng was brilliant

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
The commentary team were talking about Rhead like he's a lethal weapon he's mostly played non league and scored 15 in a 120 appearances for Mansfield.
It did get annoying "excellent header" and "superb passing from Rhead" BS the main reason he stood out today was his constant bitching to the ref and swearing at our players in the first half calling one of ours a W anchor 3 times in seconds.

The way he kept running towards the ref anyone would think he was the captain. Would fit in well at wycombe

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lincoln were an annoying aggravating side. They dont deserve to be promoted.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sat on train back to Chesterfield chatting to a guy who is also from Chesterfield and is Lincoln's Luke Waterfalls dad.
He says that was best performance seen by an away side at Lincoln this season and Boateng was brilliant
thats weird cos i thought by his standards boateng, had a quite game, wait till they see him at the park, no doubts the boy at this level is a class act. quite wot he's doin with us in div 2 ,, is ,,,,well a mystery

Well-known Exeweb poster
It did get annoying "excellent header" and "superb passing from Rhead" BS the main reason he stood out today was his constant bitching to the ref and swearing at our players in the first half calling one of ours a W anchor 3 times in seconds.

The way he kept running towards the ref anyone would think he was the captain. Would fit in well at wycombe
its often called being a good old honest c/f ,,,how they can use honest when its actually totally the polar opposite in a weird sort of waysums up where footy is going wrong ,

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lincoln were an annoying aggravating side. They dont deserve to be promoted.
and tbh not very good footballers, direct physical organised street wise yes, but VERY good footballers ,, sori imo no

Langer

Don't get me started on the air raid siren when they had a corner :)

Pobbop

Good performance by us, kept up our record of never losing a PO semi-final away leg. Those ****ing ****s who abused Ryan Harley recently at a home match are some of the most disgraceful morons ever to disgraced St James Park, the man is a ****ing legend, and is THE big match player for us. Pym was magnificent, fear he won't be with us next year though. Jordan storey has been the story of the year in terms of youth progression though, handled Rhead's cynical gamesmanship with aplomb.

On negatives, was a little surprised Boateng was the guy hauled off for Simpson, though I think it was right to change it as we weren't getting enough of the ball in the opposing 3rd at the time, and Stockley should have scored one of his chances, it's harsh to say as he's why we're in the play-offs, but he's our big money player, and we gave him oppurtunities, hopefully he'll make amends on Thursday.