• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Play-off final venue

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is it time to have a look at whether Wembley is a suitable venue for play-off finals for L2 and the Conference, possibly L1 as well?

The highest attendance for a L2 final since the play-offs were introduced was 61,000 in 2007 (when Wembley had just opened) and most are around half full. Wouldn't it be better to alternate between the top PL grounds with capacities between 50-60,000. The Emirates, Etihad, Anfield, and the new White Hart Lane when it's finished.

ECFC89

Agreed, probably would have cheaper, beer/tickets/food/better stewards.

Will never happen because the F.A want as much money as possible from their three year late, billions over budget wembley stadium.

Why? Who cares how empty the stadium is? Just keep it as it is and enjoy.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thereare a few ways of looking at this. If you're looking at it from the point of view of creating an atmosphere. Wembley is too big. It takes what seems like an age for the noise to get around the stadium and the by the time it's started by instigators, The Red Legion in our case, and filters outwards it's already starting to die off in the middle. Or you've got the near miss syndrome. There were a number of times Blackpool had a near miss in the second half at our end and it was two or three seconds later you could hear their reaction although you could seem them physically react as it happened. It's a bit like the fast jet that flies over, it's long gone before you hear it.
If you're watching it on TV, it doesn't look to clever when you've got swathes of empty seats. The TV companies have got to sell this to their audience and you the fansof the two teams can't fill out the bottom part of Wembley at least then it can't be that interesting, can it?
If you're a player though, would you want your opportunity to play at Wembley taken away? For the vast majority of lower league players, the opportunity will never come. It's the chance of a career to go there and play. If you were JMT or Wheeler or any one of our lads would you want to lose that chance just to give a better atmosphere or make it look more attractive to TV. I damn sure I wouldn't.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed, probably would have cheaper, beer/tickets/food/better stewards.

Will never happen because the F.A want as much money as possible from their three year late, billions over budget wembley stadium.
This is right. It's a good idea to consider playing elsewhere but forget it, it just isn't happening.

Antony Moxey

Wembley' great. Had we won yesterday, and had it not been Blackpool we were playing, we wouldn't have this thread.

fred binneys head

Wembley's great, keep it there.

We've been there long enough now though to know that in order to get a decent racket going, we have to keep singing the same song for longer than 10 seconds and then moaning when everyone isn't joining in. It's not rocket science - just persevere with a simple song like 'Come on you reds' or 'Ooh arr we are Exeter' and it will pick up. Give up after a few seconds and it won't.

I should add that I wasn't there yesterday but have been on the two previous occasions and this annoyed me.

Ashford Grecian

There is no more special feeling than coming out of Wembley Park station and seeing everyone walking up Olympic Way towards the Stadium on high with the Arch....
No other walk in football has this magic so these games should certainly continue to be played there....
Also you have to think of the players, possibly their one and only chance to play on the hallowed turf...

DB9

There is no more special feeling than coming out of Wembley Park station and seeing everyone walking up Olympic Way towards the Stadium on high with the Arch....
No other walk in football has this magic so these games should certainly continue to be played there....
Also you have to think of the players, possibly their one and only chance to play on the hallowed turf...
On the flip side there is no other place when you lose, Its horrible but do agree to keep it there

Leads

I say keep it at Wembley. We have been relatively lucky playing there three times in 10 years but there are lots of clubs that are yet to play at the new one and going for the first time is a definite thrill. I'm not sure the atmosphere would be any better at the Emirates etc and the crowd would probably be even lower if you moved it to a different ground.