• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Argyle win MASSIVE six pointer!!!

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
Alright lets get realistic, 3 seasons final offer

argyle-ive

That Barne Barton crack gone to your head again?

Phil Sayers

I will make a genuine prediction for you. Within 3 seasons we will have moved up a league and you will have moved down one. Yes you will still be above us but normality will have returned. Any Greens care for a bet?

ScrotleyGreen

Ha, I'll take that. 3 seasons....you mean after the season ending 2009 we'll be in leagues next to each other?

£20 to whoever's youth trust/"red or dead" fund? Jus' a student bum, much more than that would hurt the taxpayer ;)

I'm admittedly more worried about two City promotions than I am about an Argyle relegation.

Phil Sayers

Deal. Is there anywhere to record it because 3 seasons is a hell of a long time to remember. 2 city promotions is part of the V10 plan but I do think one promotion for us and one relegation for you is more likely than that. As a city fan I would certainly be happy being a good L2 outfit by then.

As an aside while we mocked Hereford when they were here I think they are an example of how a good conference side will do well in the League once they go up. Would predict a top half finish for them since they have the crowds and infrastructure to support a decent team. Accy meanwhile....

IJN

Phil,

I would have taken the bet and still will, IF you are open to it.

However, banter apart for a minute, you Greeks should really have a look at the green revoloution.

Don't get me wrong, there are still a few things wrong, we could spend a bit more money and we could also do with Plymothians getting off their arses and coming to Home Park BUT:-

The infrastructure is now so good, look at the official web page, on line ticketing, the shop at the ground etc.

When we went to Colchester on Tuesday, I was speaking to the coach driver (who I befriended in Austria) and he told me that the team flew to Norwich (from Exeter of course) on Monday evening, stayed over in a very good hotel, he drove the coach to meet them off the plane etc. The didn't drive back that night, again, he drove them back to their hotel and they flew back on Wednesday.

We now pay our top players in the region of 5-6k each (Norris, Blake and Hales).

Our ground (Phase 2) WILL be started on the day after the last game of this season.

When you add all this up, Argyle really are moving into a different stratosphere than most (not all) teams in League 1 and League 2.

Even our "friends" at Bristol City, are busy sitting there, thinking that we are dead lucky to be in the CCC, whilst they are unlucky in being in League 1. They will not know it, but again, we are becoming a bigger and better club than they are - and without doubt, they've been bigger than us for the last 50 years (if not longer).

I know it's easy to think that Argyle and City are close rivals. Geographicaly that is true, but have a look at what is happening at Home Park, have a look at the the CLUB (the team isn't bad either) and it will become obvious, very quickly that unusually for anything Plymothian, PAFC is moving at quite a pace.

I'm not saying we'll never get relegated, that could happen but what I am saying is that PAFC as a club, will, in the next 5 years, will be untouchable by anything ECFC has to offer.

Not gloating, just reporting the difference between the two clubs. I have no reason to believe it will be any different in the near or far distant future.

heathy1

argyle-ive said:
That Barne Barton crack gone to your head again?
Actually I live in Hartley

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Mr IJN, I seem to recall that phase 2 of your clubs stadium redevelopment was originally intended to bring your total capacity to around 18,000 seats.

Given that I must acknowledge that things are currently going well for you (including actually making a profit recently), a reduction in capacity would seem odd.
Indeed, for any long term hope of at least a brief dalliance with the greedy money-grabbers in the premiersh*t, such a small capacity would be a considerable financial disadvantage.

So, are the original plans still in place?. Or have things changed following proposals for a £2.5 million purchase of Home Park and the ambitious £37 million plans for a multi-purpose sport and leisure complex in Central Park?.

Apologies for being serious on the bb.

Phil Sayers

Your on Ian but I will have to close the bet to further people since I am starting to regret my foolish 1.32AM offer.

argyle-ive

I am sure the original plans for phase 2 will not be carried out as this would have made the capacity 18,600.
The Board have a dilemma on their hands and from what i've heard it will eventually come to something in the region of around 22,500....as best we can hope for on the current design.
Once the grandsatnd is built, it can't really be tinkered with, unlike the rest of the ground where an extra tier can be added in stages as and when success of the club dictates this is necessary.
It will be interesting to see what transpires at the end of the season...we'll know if our Board really do have ambition and have secured funding options outside their restricted financial personal budgets!