• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Not really a proper chap perhaps?

Saint James

As some of us have said he does appear to go to ground easily http://www.punditarena.com/football/english-football/gcummins/graham-cummins-column-diving-is-an-art-in-football/

What a chump writing this as no ref will give him the time of day from now on surely?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
If it's an art form then Cummins must be a cr*p artist as I can't remember one penalty or free kick he has won!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He said as much in an interview with Crockford that we published http://www.exeweb.com/2014/09/23/cummins-having-a-go-but-the-start-was-hard-enough/

motorservices

oh dear, doesnt look like he will get any awarded his way from now on............

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Diving is no different to a deliberate (tactical) handball or foul. I have never understood what the big obsession with punishing diving is.

If they get caught they get booked.

motorservices

Diving is no different to a deliberate (tactical) handball or foul. I have never understood what the big obsession with punishing diving is.

look at it the other way, Morecombe at home, dieing minutes, that was a stone wall pen, what happened..................

flakey pasty

Agree with the above posts. He is a first class chump for writing his article. It makes him out as being sleazy and will also alert refs to his antics. Not to mention bringing the club into some disrepute.
Daft.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Honest and stupid

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster

I saw a game online with English commentators at the weekend where a defender put the ball out for a corner, then vigorously claimed a goalkick and won his claim much to the disgust of the striker. That is cheating just like diving but seems not to be a heinous crime like diving according to British fans/media. A deliberately late tackle is also cheating and can injure another player, but people don't seem to regard the perpetrator as being of low moral fibre like someone diving. I just don't get what the fuss is about either - most players who go down do it after contact is made, they are just claiming a foul when they feel the defender has unfairly impeded them. Defenders need to learn when they can't slide into or across players on the ball. If players are going down with no contact they should be booked but the hysteria about it is laughable. The idea that it is the right thing to do to stay on your feet when you are being fouled immediately puts the attacker at a disadvantage - if he doesn't claim the foul he might not get the penalty/free kick. I know it looks bad when you can see players sizing up a challenge coming towards them, move the ball out the way and take the foul - Michael Owen and Gary Lineker were experts at this actually - but it is the defender who has committed an illegal challenge. There is a history of bad defending in England because players were allowed to get away with reckless challenges. Knowing when you can and can't make a tackle is a huge part of being a defender and this is what people should be making a fuss about if anything. We cannot expect the rest of the football world to adapt to our expectations.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is diving like we saw with Chelsea this weekend where no contact is made and the striker anticipates the defender contacting him but looks a fool and a cheat when the defender pulls out of the challenge and then there is diving (or going to ground too easily) when the slightest contact is made which is what Cummins is advocating. If a striker has this reputation then defenders will think twice before putting in a clumsy challenge, therefore having a reputation of a "grounder" could be beneficial! Perhaps he is not so hapless with this article!