• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So what's happened now?

Number13

Sercombe should have kicked on but is a fair to middling L2 player which makes him ideal for us.
Woodman started slowly but to be fair was one of our better players last year (tho not hard). Not sure where he falls in a system without a back 4 tho?
Bennett. Again, solid, workmanlike, one of our own gives his all and a sign of where we are

So n one of those deserve to be the scapegoat

Butterfield on the other hand is hopeless and will take over when Coles goes..........

Bittners a Legend

Butterfield isn't a bad footballer in my opinion but obviously has no pace anymore and is therefore hopelessly exposed because nobody else in the back four (except Woodman to a small degree) has even a slightl turn of pace themselves. He has had some terrible games though I agree.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Although maybe Butterfield's apparently impressive stint in midfield against Reading points to a new position in the twilight of his career? Dawson to RB/RWB?

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although maybe Butterfield's apparently impressive stint in midfield against Reading points to a new position in the twilight of his career? Dawson to RB/RWB?
I can see it now, a midfield of Oakley, Butterfield and Sercombe.

Bittners a Legend

Too mobile and not compact enough for Tisdale. Chuck Bennett in to make it a four and then Tisdale would be all over it...

Red Monster

But you won't and anyway Matt Grimes is a shoe in .

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Butterfield isn't a bad footballer in my opinion but obviously has no pace anymore and is therefore hopelessly exposed because nobody else in the back four (except Woodman to a small degree) has even a slightl turn of pace themselves. He has had some terrible games though I agree.
I make you right on this bitts

No pace at all

Leads

I don't buy into this attitude (which isn't just with Exeter fans but most clubs) that fans NEED a target, getting so called abuse is the result of poor performances not some personal vendetta.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't buy into this attitude (which isn't just with Exeter fans but most clubs) that fans NEED a target, getting so called abuse is the result of poor performances not some personal vendetta.
Don't let people hear you say that. ;)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly wouldn't disagree with how things may start, but there is a snowball effect whereby once someone is targeted everything they do is magnified to the nth degree - see my example in this thread re: Paul Buckle when he was Public Enemy #1 in the City supporters' eyes.

Personally I try to get behind our players ESPECIALLY when they aren't playing well, as that usually (not always, I grant you) points to a lack of confidence rather than a deficiency in attitude. Nobody deliberately plays badly.