• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Admission Prices for 2014/15

davecg

How many times can they get this wrong? More people at a lower cost equals higher amount of revenue if the pricing of that is correct. Basic stuff.
More people through the gate encourages extra revenue in food, drink, programme sales & merchandise. All good, and at the prices at SJP, highly profitable revenue. As you say, this is basic stuff...

grecianjd74

What happened to the family ticket? my son and I used to sit the the old grandstand and pay 25. Now it will be 36, and when money is tight it's way to rich.
Admission prices have been high in my opinion for the last two seasons and after last year's **** campaign I would have thought a better pricing structure would have been thought of.

Also has there ever been a discussion about gate prices?

I would have thought that setting the prices at a more reasonable and realistic cost would attract a bigger crowd. Surely more customers paying less is better than less paying more?
Basic business?!

Last edited:

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
What happened to the family ticket? my son and I used to sit the the old grandstand and pay 25. Now it will be 36, and when money is tight it's way to rich.
Admission prices have been high in my opinion for the last two seasons and after last year's **** campaign I would have thought a better pricing structure would have been thought of.

Also has there ever been a discussion about gate prices?

I would have thought that setting the prices at a more reasonable and realistic cost would attract a bigger crowd. Surely more customers paying less is better than less paying more?
Basic business?!
Did they do the family ticket last year? I remember they did a small discount for red army members last season and that seems to have gone as well.

Got to hand it to the club, it's not easy to p!55 off so many fans so easily, but they have excelled themselves with these new prices.

Boyo

Basic business?!
Let’s assume for a moment that our typical attendance is 3,000. If we halved the admission prices, how many more people do you think it would attract through the gate?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s assume for a moment that our typical attendance is 3,000. If we halved the admission prices, how many more people do you think it would attract through the gate?
Indeed, Football is a fairly inelastic business due to its emotive nature. Chopping prices in half would hurt us in the pocket as our attendances would be very unlikely to hit 6,000 (well, not 6,000 - about 5,500 would probably be needed to increase revenues what with refreshments, programmes etc.).

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who said anything about halving prices ???

Obviously that would be a very poor decision business wise, what irritates is some of these increases seem totally out of line with reality, i.e. the example I gave earlier regarding a senior citizen standing on the Big Bank, £13 to £18, that is totally and utterly ridiculous, even if you said inflation was at a sky high level of 5% that would equal 65p, ECFC have increased prices by £5 !!!!!

Last edited:

The Governor

Towcester racecourse used to charge for admission and they used to get crowds in the hundreds and made no money. They decided to make it free admission, they get crowds in the thousands and they make more money because once the customers are through the gate they will spend on other things.
Simply, if you ticket price is reduced enough, the supporters are more likely to spend on food, drink and programmes, etc which should make high profit margins. If kids prices are only a pound then adults are more likely to bring their children, who then buy food, drink, merchandise and programmes.
So you do not need to double the attendance to make the same money if you halve the ticket price.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Try buying a ticket for the Stagecoach Family Stand for the Reading game:

http://ex1.glitnirticketing.com/exticket/web/stadiumg.php?event_id=213&status_id=2

One can only presume that stand isn't going to open for this particular game; if that's the case then it might just be an idea to mention it somewhere on the site.

For the umpteenth time, if you want people to buy tickets in advance then you have to make the mechanism for doing so painless. This, IMHO, is quite the opposite.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed, Football is a fairly inelastic business due to its emotive nature. Chopping prices in half would hurt us in the pocket as our attendances would be very unlikely to hit 6,000 (well, not 6,000 - about 5,500 would probably be needed to increase revenues what with refreshments, programmes etc.).
How about they just kept the prices the same, or maybe even just chopped a quid or two off? People might see it as a decent gesture by the club and be more inclined to turn up if they think the club are making an effort. Of course, once people are inside who knows what they might spend on merchandise/refreshments etc?

I suspect next season we might see a drop in attendance that negates the extra income from price increases. Perhaps dropping the prices a little, rather than the extraordinary half as suggested, might see turnover in both revenue and bums on seats actually go up.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Towcester racecourse used to charge for admission and they used to get crowds in the hundreds and made no money. They decided to make it free admission, they get crowds in the thousands and they make more money because once the customers are through the gate they will spend on other things.
Simply, if you ticket price is reduced enough, the supporters are more likely to spend on food, drink and programmes, etc which should make high profit margins. If kids prices are only a pound then adults are more likely to bring their children, who then buy food, drink, merchandise and programmes.
So you do not need to double the attendance to make the same money if you halve the ticket price.
The kid a quid thing - yes, for sure, I can definitely agree with that. Otherwise I don't buy your argument necessarily. Just because it costs a few quid less for me to get in won't mean I'd spend the equivalent (would need to actually be more than the equivalent to adjust for overheads etc.) on other stuff.