• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lost football grounds

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There is a really excellent book called "lost league football grounds" by Michael and Drew Heatley that has some great old pics from all over the place and a memories section for each team where supporters from bygone days bring life to the pictures by regaling the reader with atmospheres at the old grounds.......highly recommended, I love it
Seconded...A great book full of high quality photos of former FL grounds.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bury beating Derby 6-0 in the final of the FA Cup in 1903. At Crystal Palace, what is now the National Sports Centre. 63,000 in attendance.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
;(;(

Vince Taylor ‏@Groundtastic 2m
Stanley Utd's Hill Top Ground in 2014, where the stand has been converted into a barn. Pic Paul Kirkwood

Mackster

Have they taken Danny Coles on loan?

malcolms

Have they taken Danny Coles on loan?
Take note Butchie....this is amusing banter, not the crap you come out with..

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always thought this picture to be poignant.

I doubt that many Exewebber's have been there, but quite a few will have visited the club that eventually rose from the ashes
Very poignant. Who's ground was it?

Very poignant. Who's ground was it?
I would take a guess at Accrington F.C.?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As far as I know our first team never played Worcester, but maybe our reserve team did?

Oldsmobile-88

The reserve team last played at Worcester in the 57-58 season in the Southern League..The Southern League was restructured for 58-59 with the Grecians being placed in the South-Eastern Zone,Playing Cambridge City & United,Gravesend,Dartford,Yeovil,Hastings,Weymouth.Bedford among others.

Their last season in the Southern League was 59-60,when again there was a restructure & The Grecians were placed in the 1st Division(below Premier) Playing Dover,Ramsgate,Folkestone,Sttingbourne,Margate,Corby,Burton Albion,Kidderminster,Rugby,Romford,Clacton,Hinckley,Tunbridge,Bexleyheath,Merthyr,Cambridge United.Ashford,Gloucester,Trowbridge,Yiewsley & Guildford....Some nasty journeys amoung that lot...

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

I can remember The Grecians reserve team playing in The Western League up until the late 1970's & a short spell in the early 1980's bizzarely playing in The London Midweek League....After a trashing at Millwall in a Division 3 fixture on the Saturday,Brian Godfrey ordered the entire first team who played to go back to The Den for the reserve fixture the following Tuesday.They lost that one as well..:D.....That flirtation with that reserve league was short lived because of the high travel costs I would imagine....

Last edited: