• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley to join City....

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Swansea won't survive in the Premiership. They send Harley out to Brighton on a long loan and get a player back at the end of it who was previously untested at that level but now has a season's experience in the Championship. Everybody's happy.

Except it doesn't do much for us. And Poyet will find that Harley's price goes up if he performs well for Brighton, but then they were only offering us peanuts anyway, so they've got it coming.

FAN-TATIC

Very logical the post above. Makes total sense.

What is bonkers, however, is that City lost four of their best players within a few months of each other and haven't received one penny in return. Not many clubs at this level could take that seismic change in their squad without serious fallout. Gonna be a long hard season.
Unfortunately for City, we do not have one or two multi-millionaires who will cover any debts or supply funds for the purchase and wages of quality players.

We also have to be careful with contracts to avoid landing ourselves with players on lengthy ones which could leave us in a vulnerable state finance wise.

It is a risk signing players on short term contracts. Sometimes you win Noble, Nardeillo, Duffy. Sometimes you lose Harley, Taylor, Cureton. However all three if those will have considered to have bettered themselves.

A good case to look at is Harley. If someone had come in for him during the August Transfer Window we could have demanded a sizeable fee. The minute the window closed we lost any chance of a decent fee because he could no go the January window at which time he was within 6 months of the end of his contract.

I am sure that Tisdale and Perryman worked their socks off to try and persuade all three to stay for at least a year and possibly two. The reality is that they all wanted to move on. Once a player makes it clear he wants to leave IMO it is best to let him go. Disgruntled employees do not perform well.

Sad we didn't get any cash for them but that IMO wad down to the circumstances that we have to work in.

Last edited:

caskey

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It'd be ironic if Brighton went up and passed Swansea going down - stranger things have happened. Maybe SRH could then re-sign for Swansea...

Good luck Ryan.

ME16 Grecian

Backing Tisdale from the Garden of England
Forget about Brighton - I'd love it if Harley came back to City - whether now or in the future, he scored some great and important goals for us; like the second against Leeds at SJP, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6IukaUpUo&feature=related.
Couldn't make the game as was at uni in Leicester but when he scored I lept off my bed, head-butted the ceiling- cut my head open, but i was too delirious to care.

ECFC Music

Why do you think he did not want to sign for Brighton? I think you'll find that was only what was said on here. Say something often enough on Exeweb and people will believe it.

QUOTE]
It's quite clear ie he signed for Swansea - Brighton wanted him and as a free agent at the end of the season he would have signed for them if he wanted to join them - he didn't !

older-codger

That only indicates that he had two offers (at least) and went for the Swansea option. Doesn't mean that he wouldn't have gone to Brighton if that was the better option for him

Borat

What the fee? ;)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What the fee? ;)
£10 million and we have a 99% sell-on clause.

Borat

Harly true ;)

Last edited: