• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

NHS what a load of crap

ecfc2000

The NHS is a brilliant service, obviously, its free healthcare.

No its not, we pay for this service through our taxes.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
And therein lies part of the problem. A surprisingly large amount of people think it's just free. Nobody pays for it, the magic pixie just comes along and waves his magic wand.

The reality is that we all pay for it. And furthermore we can no longer afford it.

Red Devon

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and find the NHS outstanding!!! in the care that they give me!

Red Lion

And therein lies part of the problem. A surprisingly large amount of people think it's just free. Nobody pays for it, the magic pixie just comes along and waves his magic wand.

The reality is that we all pay for it. And furthermore we can no longer afford it.
That's the nail on the head, with the hammer.
My late wife's treatment most definitely cost more money than all the tax I've paid in my life, possibly more than I've earned in my life.
I accept Egg's point. (Not being funny, I probably picked on the wrong kwango (sp?) do we need a 'potato promotion board'?)

IMHO, the big problem with our whole society is that there are more people taking out of 'The Pot' than there are putting in.

There are now generations of our population who have never worked, and apart from the tax on their booze and ciggies have put nothing in the pot.
I've never voted Tory in my life, but, I hate to say it, the current Government do seem to be trying to address lots of obvious problems. You shouldn't get into debt you can't pay for.
How could previous regimes just keep running them up higher and higher?:$

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You shouldn't get into debt you can't pay for.
Except this government think students should have debt.

The NHS covers all, not just the illnesses that are profitable.

Oli

Except this government think students should have debt.
No, it says you should pay for your higher education. That is different from forcing debt on people. Add to that it is a non-debenture loan anyway.

The NHS covers all, not just the illnesses that are profitable.
Not true otherwise we would treat all illnesses. We don't.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not true otherwise we would treat all illnesses. We don't.
I'm fairly sure we try to treat all illnesses. No on gets turned away because its not on the list.

Oli

I'm fairly sure we try to treat all illnesses. No on gets turned away because its not on the list.
Some don't get treated because the drugs are not cost approved. Thus the existence of NICE. Some screenings are not performed because of cost vs lives saved. Nothing is ever approved just to save a few people.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
...There are now generations of our population who have never worked, and apart from the tax on their booze and ciggies have put nothing in the pot...
Whilst not advocating tobacco use, it currently raises approximately 9 billion pounds in tax annually. About five times more than its cost to the NHS. And about four times what the DWP wastes in mismanaging the welfare state ... :)

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

How could previous regimes just keep running them up higher and higher?:$
Because they could by finding ever more ingenious ways to raise monies to fund it. Tuition fees, Housing boom stamp duty, Finance sector tax grab, pension raids etc, etc.