• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

James Dunne IS Nails

budegrecian

Deservedly MOM yesterday.
His ability to win everything in the centre of the park allowed Harley to play right up alongside the front 2 for long periods.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tis said that Noble "would need several months to get fit"? Thats b*ll*cks! You dont sign a player under those circumstances. If he's unfit to the degree that he needs "several months" to get fit, then he shouldnt have been signed and certainly shouldnt figure in our plans.

Cant we simply sign a player who's fit, and can hit the ground running, instead of signing the walking wounded that nobody else wants FFS?
Eh?

Have you seen Noble play at all? The first few games he played he looked decent, good vision, good passing etc. Yes, he's not fully fit yet but he's still an asset even now.

Tis is playing a long game with Noble and he knows if he can get him to 100% fit he'll be one of the best in the league and personally I feel it's a gamble worth taking

Poulticedale

Pete, we're Exeter City. Has it not occurred to you that in signing crocked players with potential we can get a lot more value than signing players fully fit and on top form (whom we couldn't afford anyway)? Of course the board knew it was a bit of a gamble, but the risk/reward ratio is definitely in our favour on Noble.

Back on topic, Dunne is a great player and I am so pleased he is making the most of his opportunity with us.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Noble needs to do more work on his fitness, he is still carrying far too much fat.

Pobbop

He was an animal yesterday, and I mean that in the best way possible. Any time Charlton had a sniff of breaking away from midfield he was there like a shot, getting amongst them and getting in their faces. I lost count of the amount of great challenges he made, my personal favourite being the one in the first half out on the touchline when he flew in, made a perfect tackle and left the Charlton forward on his a*se for about a minute! :D

He'd be in my team every single week, he's like a guard dog for all the fancy stuff around him.
Yeah, don't suppose anyone's got a clip of that, was bone-crunching, but fair. Really was Roykeane-esque, without the handicap of being a total cubt obviously.

arthur

Delighted that he's established himself at last - surely there can be no more playing him on the right b*ll*cks (last week) or leaving him on the bench to make room for "senior" players (Stewart, Noble) b*ll*cks either

Oli

Dunne was excellent vs Charlton. Reminded me of Gill but with much more bite. He will get the odd red card playing as he does, but I don't want him to change and think it is a price worth paying.

Top performance and correct man of the match award.

Lister

Tis said that Noble "would need several months to get fit"? Thats b*ll*cks! You dont sign a player under those circumstances. If he's unfit to the degree that he needs "several months" to get fit, then he shouldnt have been signed and certainly shouldnt figure in our plans.

Cant we simply sign a player who's fit, and can hit the ground running, instead of signing the walking wounded that nobody else wants FFS?
Pete, you're obviously new to Exeter's situation, so maybe I can enlighten things a bit for you.

In 2003 our club nearly died with millions of £s of debts and 2 criminals running the club. Thankfully they were kicked out (1 even went to jail) and we embarked on a rebuilding journey that we are still on today.

Money is tight, and must be spent sensibly, so the powers that be have a tricky task balancing what can be spent on players and what needs to be spent on the infrastructure that has been neglected for decades. For instance, we've just relaid the pitch at a cost of £150k which, if we the owners don't stump up for, will come out of the playing budget.

But, having said that, a manager was appointed a few years ago who totally understands the restraints he has to work under. He looks long and hard at getting good value players. Players that have maybe been injured, or maybe who've had a bad run in the game. It doesn't always work, just search this very site for threads on Barry Corr, but quite often it does as Ryan Harley proves.

Noble is such a player, a very bad injury could have ended his career, but Tis has taken a chance on him, and no doubt gotten him at good value for our club. He hasn't played much football in over a year, and we're only 5 games into this new season so I think its fair to offer him a chance to impress. Many people was lyrical over Ryan Harley, but he was sh*t when he first arrived here! Patience was the key, and Ryan is now an asset to our club.

I hope that helps explain why we don't just splash the cash and sign expensive players that can hit the ground running.

Poulticedale

Pete, you're obviously new to Exeter's situation, so maybe I can enlighten things a bit for you.

In 2003 our club nearly died with millions of £s of debts and 2 criminals running the club. Thankfully they were kicked out (1 even went to jail) and we embarked on a rebuilding journey that we are still on today.

Money is tight, and must be spent sensibly, so the powers that be have a tricky task balancing what can be spent on players and what needs to be spent on the infrastructure that has been neglected for decades. For instance, we've just relaid the pitch at a cost of £150k which, if we the owners don't stump up for, will come out of the playing budget.

But, having said that, a manager was appointed a few years ago who totally understands the restraints he has to work under. He looks long and hard at getting good value players. Players that have maybe been injured, or maybe who've had a bad run in the game. It doesn't always work, just search this very site for threads on Barry Corr, but quite often it does as Ryan Harley proves.

Noble is such a player, a very bad injury could have ended his career, but Tis has taken a chance on him, and no doubt gotten him at good value for our club. He hasn't played much football in over a year, and we're only 5 games into this new season so I think its fair to offer him a chance to impress. Many people was lyrical over Ryan Harley, but he was sh*t when he first arrived here! Patience was the key, and Ryan is now an asset to our club.

I hope that helps explain why we don't just splash the cash and sign expensive players that can hit the ground running.
Kind of nicking my point and then making it less articulately.

bigtrees

Dunne is one part of a excellent midfield dream team. Three very talented youngish players who are well complimented for each other, and together will achieve great things for our club. Long may they all play together.