• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 21/22

Cowshed Grecian

How many of their first squad are from their academy / been sold on for over £1 million? I thought Luke Jephcott was supposed to be their jewel but last time I looked at Pasotti after their 5-0, he seemed to be the first on their list to be released. The proof of the pasty is in the eating
They’ve had some good young players come through over the years to be fair too them. Not everyone needs to sell like we do though.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
How many of their first squad are from their academy / been sold on for over £1 million? I thought Luke Jephcott was supposed to be their jewel but last time I looked at Pasotti after their 5-0, he seemed to be the first on their list to be released. The proof of the pasty is in the eating
Michael Cooper is their jewel and he should go for multiple millions as he has proved to be a top keeper in L1. If any of our youngsters do the biz in L1 we can add on a few hundred k to their valuation at least.

Rosencrantz

They’ve had some good young players come through over the years to be fair too them. Not everyone needs to sell like we do though.
You can count the number of clubs who don't need to sell their good young players in this country on the fingers of one hand.

DawlishBouy

They have recently had a couple of schoolboys involved with their first team squad. I believe they are particularly excited about Freddie Issaka. But as pointed out by AmberRed on another thread two or three years ago they were just as excited about some of the players they have just now released.

Cowshed Grecian

You can count the number of clubs who don't need to sell their good young players in this country on the fingers of one hand.
Need? That’s not true is it, clubs have Owners sourcing money and bigger economical scales of attendances and commercial revenue and Viewing rights. That’s how clubs genuinely operate to generate money. We have to bring youngsters through where others go for seasoned pros, to operate in order to sell them on, is this not factually true or am I missing 88 (for your 4 fingers) of league clubs who do the same?

dontpassback

They now have a guy called Neil dewsnip who was at Everton with Schumacher and I believe his background is bringing on the youth,which I believe he did at Everton,since the demise of brent and the appearance of Simon hallet as chairman they have obviously reappraised the youth set up.to be fair to hallet,he wants them to be a sustainable club,and I don’t think he will be putting shed loads of money in.I think he also views the way ECFC do things as the right way to go forward(I might be wrong about the last bit but I believe he has been complementary about us in the recent past)

andrew p long

Argyle have certainly upped their game re their academy. Tediously Alan Richardson commentating on a City game on ifollow went into a long monologue about Luke Jephcott and how well he's done, youth product of Argyle,scored loads of goals etc. His justification for this borefest, completely irrelevant to City, on an Exeter City branded service (albeit provided from Radio Devon) was his discovery that Diabate had had a loan spell at Truro...just like Argyle youth product Luke Jephcott who blah blah blah...
Anyway Jephcott turned 22 earlier this year and has 33 goals from 73 starts (plus 31 sub appearances). That's quite something at League One level. I'd be pleased if Sonny Cox achieved those figures in a few years time. Jephcott and Mike Cooper are impressive youth products.
Also IIRC Argyle's U18s beat our U18s this season. Argyle's academy is now serious competition in a way it hasn't been in the last decade

AmberRed

I had a little look at Pasoti earlier, primarily to wallow in our glory and their despair. There's an interesting thread on our promotion, with the usual spiel about how we're not important and they have a real rivalry with Bristol City and Pompey (despite not playing the former for a dozen years). One interesting thing I did note however was a consensus there that the Argyle academy is now superior to ours and hence we'd now struggle with our production line.

Does anyone who is closer to youth football have any insight as to what they've done and why they suddenly think their academy is better, or is it green tinted specs again?
The main reason their u18s done so well this season is that they kept all the 2nd year scholars playing u18s! We sent pretty much all of ours out to get mens game time! Whenever we've played an 'important' cup game etc against them and we have our strongest team out, we normally beat them!

Rosencrantz

Need? That’s not true is it, clubs have Owners sourcing money and bigger economical scales of attendances and commercial revenue and Viewing rights. That’s how clubs genuinely operate to generate money. We have to bring youngsters through where others go for seasoned pros, to operate in order to sell them on, is this not factually true or am I missing 88 (for your 4 fingers) of league clubs who do the same?
Young players who come through or not, pretty much every club is a selling club. If a player has a value, and it is mostly younger players that do, there are not many clubs in this country who can allow them to walk for free. If clubs get an offer they find acceptable, they accept. We are no different.

denzel

Argyle have certainly upped their game re their academy. Tediously Alan Richardson commentating on a City game on ifollow went into a long monologue about Luke Jephcott and how well he's done, youth product of Argyle,scored loads of goals etc. His justification for this borefest, completely irrelevant to City, on an Exeter City branded service (albeit provided from Radio Devon) was his discovery that Diabate had had a loan spell at Truro...just like Argyle youth product Luke Jephcott who blah blah blah...
Anyway Jephcott turned 22 earlier this year and has 33 goals from 73 starts (plus 31 sub appearances). That's quite something at League One level. I'd be pleased if Sonny Cox achieved those figures in a few years time. Jephcott and Mike Cooper are impressive youth products.
Also IIRC Argyle's U18s beat our U18s this season. Argyle's academy is now serious competition in a way it hasn't been in the last decade
If Jephcott is that good, why the slagging on on pashiti?
Agree that Cooper is good, which of course he would be given his place of birth.