• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2023/24

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster

Disappointing result and , it seems, performance.

Better news in Max Edgecombe playing. I see that Tivvy have had two loanees recalled by Bristol Rovers. And that there are no competitive U18 fixtures for a few weeks. I wonder whether Max Edgecombe, or others, may get a loan to Tivvy.
One of those loanees was a left back who did look a bit out of his depth when I saw him so a possibility for Max.

Out of interest, I ask this question as regrettably I have not watched the youth of some time. Me and a mate used to have fun watching Ballie's team on a Sunday morning whilst shaking off many a hangover, great fun.

Has the 'possession' style of football being instilled in our youth teams so that transition between age groups towards the first team would be easier?

Is this the reason that we have not been winning quite so frequently during this period of transition to a possession based style. It is not my favourite style (putting it politely), but despite my opinion, if this is now the 'Exeter City' way, it would be wrong not to do this from first team down to U8s.

Rosencrantz

Out of interest, I ask this question as regrettably I have not watched the youth of some time. Me and a mate used to have fun watching Ballie's team on a Sunday morning whilst shaking off many a hangover, great fun.

Has the 'possession' style of football being instilled in our youth teams so that transition between age groups towards the first team would be easier?

Is this the reason that we have not been winning quite so frequently during this period of transition to a possession based style. It is not my favourite style (putting it politely), but despite my opinion, if this is now the 'Exeter City' way, it would be wrong not to do this from first team down to U8s.
I have only seen one game with the U17's in the floodlit cup but they were very much playing in the same style albeit with a lot more emphasis on forward passing. It made for a high scoring game as we were very wide open on the counter and lacked structure without the ball. That might have been down to the disrupted coaching they have had which will hopefully settle down now. The appointment of a new Head of Coaching as announced at the fans forum will hopefully help stabilise things.

I think we have generally had a no fear, no blame, passing game through the academy from Tisdale's years.

DawlishBouy

City finish 6th in the EFL South West Counties Youth League and will be in Merit League Two for the next stage of the season. Victory instead of defeat against bottom club Newport would have taken City to 4th place and Merit League One.

Two games left to play: Swindon are home to Portsmouth tomorrow and away to Argyle on Saturday. If they win both games they will pip Argyle to 1st place.

#TeamPWDLFADPts
1Plymouth Argyle 1815112240172335
2Swindon Town U1814100437162130
3Portsmouth U181572638261223
4Cheltenham Town U18167272531-623
5Oxford United U18166372326-321
6Exeter City U18165563239-720
7Forest Green Rovers U18166193441-719
8Bristol Rovers U18165382533-818
9Newport County U181632112853-2511

SaintJames

I have only seen one game with the U17's in the floodlit cup but they were very much playing in the same style albeit with a lot more emphasis on forward passing. It made for a high scoring game as we were very wide open on the counter and lacked structure without the ball. That might have been down to the disrupted coaching they have had which will hopefully settle down now. The appointment of a new Head of Coaching as announced at the fans forum will hopefully help stabilise things.

I think we have generally had a no fear, no blame, passing game through the academy from Tisdale's years.
The coaching in the Academy has been consistent for many years now nothing has been altered as you say specifically under the watch of this manager any more so thn his predecessor

iscalad

The coaching in the Academy has been consistent for many years now nothing has been altered as you say specifically under the watch of this manager any more so thn his predecessor
I think there has been a bit of churn in the coaching staff.

SaintJames

I think there has been a bit of churn in the coaching staff.
There has but it isn't anything out of the ordinary as you can go back over many years to find Lee Skryme and even Kwame leaving their posts for higher things. So Brad Miller has followed the same well trod path as a number of his contemporaries. One possibly two have left for opportunities in New Zealand where thos opportunies had been forged in previous years and are lifestyle choices. Thi is common with guys who are in the 20's and 30's where you leave roles for career or lifestyle reasons. It's often the outgoiung coaches who people mention rather than those equally good often better replacements such as yemi odubade who has come in

Colesman Ballz

There has but it isn't anything out of the ordinary as you can go back over many years to find Lee Skryme and even Kwame leaving their posts for higher things. So Brad Miller has followed the same well trod path as a number of his contemporaries. One possibly two have left for opportunities in New Zealand where thos opportunies had been forged in previous years and are lifestyle choices. Thi is common with guys who are in the 20's and 30's where you leave roles for career or lifestyle reasons. It's often the outgoiung coaches who people mention rather than those equally good often better replacements such as yemi odubade who has come in
Isn't Yemi with us on a "short term FA placement" scheme ? We will have to wait and see how good he actually is.

SaintJames

Isn't Yemi with us on a "short term FA placement" scheme ? We will have to wait and see how good he actually is.
I have no idea how he got here and did think it was a bit left field. According to Wiki he is still playing at 39 for Gosport which if true could explain a recent loan.

Rosencrantz

If he is, I think we had Jon-Paul Pittman on the same scheme a couple of years ago.