• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2023/24

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have thought that Edgecombe (already a pro) and Dean are pretty much nailed on. Announcements may be later this year, particularly with the uncertainty over which division we will be in.

Martin Weiler

I hadn’t picked up until seeing a piece in last night’s programme that Yemi Odubade is our U9-10 Cell Lead Coach. Yemi was a thorn in our side in our Conference days. He scored for Oxford in that pulsating second leg semi final play off in 2007. Aged 39 he has also joined Gosport Borough in a player coaching role. A teammate for our loanee Pedro Borges.

SaintJames

I would have thought that Edgecombe (already a pro) and Dean are pretty much nailed on. Announcements may be later this year, particularly with the uncertainty over which division we will be in.
Interested to hear why you think Tom Dean is nailed on as you say. I have never watched the U18's so can't comment on Dean's ability but I wouldn't have said his goals were in themselves enough to warrant a deal. With the signing of Charlie Cummings and the obvious potential of Jake Richards I'm not sure there is much room left for DM type players

Number13

So those 6 are the second years which to those of us not any good at football was our "upper sixth" or year 13 at school so the school year we turned 18

If they get released now there's no fall back option? Its either Pro or nothing?

And what about the 7 who got deals (presumbaly 1 year deals) last year? Where do we see them?

andrew p long

Interested to hear why you think Tom Dean is nailed on as you say. I have never watched the U18's so can't comment on Dean's ability but I wouldn't have said his goals were in themselves enough to warrant a deal. With the signing of Charlie Cummings and the obvious potential of Jake Richards I'm not sure there is much room left for DM type players
Ah, good question! It is guesswork/speculation rather than solid or inside information. And like you I don't see U18 games, only read reports.Tom Dean seems to be central/integral to what the U18s achieve,is captain, and central to lots of the successful action (including goals from midfield). But I've been (very) wrong on our teenagers before. Perhaps I should have used a milder phrase such as 'well placed' or 'strong favourite' rather than 'nailed on' - as it's only my speculation.

It's an interesting and good point you make about our other teenage midfielders (Cummings, Richards and ? also Borges) which I hadn't factored in. Generally speaking my view would be not to be too worried about having too much of a good thing in specific positions - things can quickly change eg an Alfie Pond type departure. I know we've sometimes been wary of taking on two first year pros in the same position (eg Andrew Sowden when we had Harry Lee and Cameron Hargreaves when we had Archie Collins). If a player has real promise he should get a chance and too many good youngsters would be a nice problem to have!

andrew p long

So those 6 are the second years which to those of us not any good at football was our "upper sixth" or year 13 at school so the school year we turned 18

If they get released now there's no fall back option? Its either Pro or nothing?

And what about the 7 who got deals (presumbaly 1 year deals) last year? Where do we see them?
After a two year scholarship (apprenticeship in old money) it is indeed generally either a professional contract with ECFC or move on. There is an occasionally used third option of becoming a third year scholar, which I don't quite understand, but may belike staying on to re-take your A levels(!) - Some say this is Aamir Stanford Daniels current position.

Bridgy 81

After a two year scholarship (apprenticeship in old money) it is indeed generally either a professional contract with ECFC or move on. There is an occasionally used third option of becoming a third year scholar, which I don't quite understand, but may belike staying on to re-take your A levels(!) - Some say this is Aamir Stanford Daniels current position.
I imagine the third year option is available if parts of the first two have been significantly interrupted by injury or some other circumstance which has delayed the youngster’s development?

Rosencrantz

We also have Gabe Billington, when he has recovered from injury, and Joe O'Connor in midfield and I would fancy it's a good chance that Alfie Cunningham would also get a contract although he is more of an attacking midfielder. I liked the look of Gabe in pre-season, he looked the most impressive of all our first year pro's in those games even playing out of position in a back three. Seeing as Harrison King was converted into a right back from midfield, it is certainly a competitive position among our young players currently.

ryancooper327

We also have Gabe Billington, when he has recovered from injury, and Joe O'Connor in midfield and I would fancy it's a good chance that Alfie Cunningham would also get a contract although he is more of an attacking midfielder. I liked the look of Gabe in pre-season, he looked the most impressive of all our first year pro's in those games even playing out of position in a back three. Seeing as Harrison King was converted into a right back from midfield, it is certainly a competitive position among our young players currently.
Was going to say the same thing. Gabe, Joe, Charlie, Jake, Pedro etc. there are a few deeper CMs there. But I guess Kite, Carroll (maybe), Taylor, and Woods all leaving opens up some spots, wouldn't think many of the younger pros are ready though based on this season.

Cartwright, Oakes, Marroni, Graham, Ohanaka, are all common names I've also seen in the U18s matches. Be a few hard decisions coming up!

andrew p long

Disappointing result and , it seems, performance.

Better news in Max Edgecombe playing. I see that Tivvy have had two loanees recalled by Bristol Rovers. And that there are no competitive U18 fixtures for a few weeks. I wonder whether Max Edgecombe, or others, may get a loan to Tivvy.