• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2020/21

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is that Alfie Pond?
I thought Alfie Pond was older? I tried to track down the name on the Welsh FA website but no joy.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's Alfie Cunningham.

There is a game against Northern Ireland today kicking off at 12 noon.

budegrecian

I thought Alfie Pond was older? I tried to track down the name on the Welsh FA website but no joy.
So did I, hence the question. Hopefully the club will offer further details shortly.
Anyway, congratulations to the boy; great achievement.

budegrecian

It's Alfie Cunningham.
Thanks for that. Another one to look out for & hope that he's not poached by a PL team.

The deluder

Thanks for that. Another one to look out for & hope that he's not poached by a PL team.
Nothing is certain. Remember Max Smallcombe was in the same Wales schoolboy team as Ethan Ampadu.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nothing is certain. Remember Max Smallcombe was in the same Wales schoolboy team as Ethan Ampadu.
Indeed. And playing for the Welsh age groups is not the highest marker one could have.

Though the thing I like so far is (if I've got this right!) Alfie is an U15 playing internationally at U16 level (is that right?)

AmberRed

Indeed. And playing for the Welsh age groups is not the highest marker one could have.

Though the thing I like so far is (if I've got this right!) Alfie is an U15 playing internationally at U16 level (is that right?)
The national teams go on birth years rather than school years! Therefore if his birthday was Sept-Dec 2005 he would be U16 for national squads, if Jan-Aug 2006 he would be U15 (even though he's U15 at ECFC)!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
There is a game against Northern Ireland today kicking off at 12 noon.
Wales lost 3-0 this afternoon, not yet seen the team news.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The national teams go on birth years rather than school years! Therefore if his birthday was Sept-Dec 2005 he would be U16 for national squads, if Jan-Aug 2006 he would be U15 (even though he's U15 at ECFC)!
Thanks. Good point!

(reminds me that Ollie Watkins birthday is 30 December. So if he'd been born two days later he would have been eligible for the year group below!)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Wales lost 3-0 this afternoon, not yet seen the team news.
Alfie started the game on the bench, presumably as part of the squad rotation. No match report that I've been able to find.