• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 2018/19

Temporarily Exiled

He's signed for them now. Shame.
If I was in his shoes, I'd move too, honestly. Probably less pressure there (which is a weird thing to say when moving up two divisions), and more chance of being selected for England youth sides.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He's signed for them now. Shame.
Scored twice for Fulham this afternoon against Southend. Not sure of what age group.

jrg333

Obviously young Stansfield's entitled to do what's best for his career but the lack of loyalty doesn't say much for his character or for the character of the people advising him. Won't get the support and opportunities at Fulham that he would have had here. Without wanting to be too cynical I expect that he'll regret the decision in the long-run.

Andy Holloway

Obviously young Stansfield's entitled to do what's best for his career but the lack of loyalty doesn't say much for his character or for the character of the people advising him. Won't get the support and opportunities at Fulham that he would have had here. Without wanting to be too cynical I expect that he'll regret the decision in the long-run.
I fail to understand exactly what 'loyalty' he is expected to show towards ECFC, over and above that of any other lad in the Academy. I'm sure, had he still been alive, that Adam would not have wanted him to have been given any different treatment than the rest of the lads in his year.
Where does your information come from for you to say; Won't get the support and opportunities at Fulham that he would have had here. ?

I for one, hope that he prospers at Fulham and look forward to following his progress through to football at both Premiership and International levels, where he will make his Dad proud of him.

Temporarily Exiled

Also, it does mean the club is spared a potentially tricky decision down the line. Say it was between him and another young striker of ours, with only one being able to go pro, would it really be possible to separate circumstances from footballing ability? I wouldn't be surprised if the kid thinks about this too, and wants to prove himself based on merit and not his name.

Imagine the pressure of the kid's shoulders.

And then he gets a call from Fulham. Great opportunities, great academy setup, opportunity to get a fresh start. Can't blame him at all.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He played for the U18s. He's signed a 3 year deal.

Stelios

I fail to understand exactly what 'loyalty' he is expected to show towards ECFC, over and above that of any other lad in the Academy. I'm sure, had he still been alive, that Adam would not have wanted him to have been given any different treatment than the rest of the lads in his year.
Where does your information come from for you to say; Won't get the support and opportunities at Fulham that he would have had here. ?

I for one, hope that he prospers at Fulham and look forward to following his progress through to football at both Premiership and International levels, where he will make his Dad proud of him.
I dunno. Maybe the fact WE NAMED A STAND AFTER HIS DAD. And sing a song for him for 45% of every game.

He is absolutely entitled to do whatever he likes. I bear no grudges. But when you consider the most highly-rated youth player outside the Prem (Sessignon) was basically seen as nobody when he actually got into the Prem you have to wonder how far you can get in the game as Fulham B-side player.

Stay at City. Shine out like Beacon then the football world is your lobster. Go to Fulham and you just become another 1% trying to tread water and stay above the dross.

Temporarily Exiled

Maybe the fact WE NAMED A STAND AFTER HIS DAD. And sing a song for him for 45% of every game.
That's some immense pressure on that kid's shoulders then. Some people can use that to drive themselves on, others want to just get their head down without that spotlight on them. Neither way is 'wrong'.

Stelios

That's some immense pressure on that kid's shoulders then. Some people can use that to drive themselves on, others want to just get their head down without that spotlight on them. Neither way is 'wrong'.
Absolutely. There would be immense pressure if he stayed here. But he would also get unconditional support. Every dodgy touch and terrible shot would be forgiven.

He won't get that at Fulham.

I wish him no ill at all. Zero. Nada. He deserves the absolute best after what he has been through.

I also know that football is a horrible business with ZERO sentimentality. If he's not considered good enough at Fulham he will be released to the wolves. Remember Abrahams, Donovan Wilson or Ogbene? Outside their comfort blanket they looked shockingly average and barely able to justify a League 2 starting place. Football is a cruel mistress.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't be surprised if the kid wants to prove himself based on merit and not his name.

Imagine the pressure of the kid's shoulders.

Can't blame him at all.
TE’s points are spot on. Two things to add. First we happen to know that Jay has had to be brought up since the age of seven in a single parent family, the eldest of three children. That will have been tough and ECFC say how much effort parent(s) of academy players have to put in, ferrying around etc. This move will mean a professional contract where Jay can contribute financially to the family and rely less on his mother who has a living to earn and two other children to bring up.

So Jay joins a long line of young men who have moved away a) out of the shadow of a well known parent and b) as the oldest male in the family grown up to start earning earlier/ more .

Secondly on the loyalty issues, by way of balance, didn’t ECFC also reject Adam Stansfield as a youngster saying he wasn’t good enough?