• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your Top 5 Favourite Gigs Ever !

Steve H

Georgia Satellites - Sheffield Poly 1990
Def Leppard - Birmingham NEC 1992 (in the round)
All About Eve - Exeter Phoenix 2002
Fields of the Nephilim - London Astoria 2007
New Model Army - Exeter Phoenix 2016

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can't believe someone went to see Coldplay AND is prepared to admit to it in public!
Saw them at The Cavern in Exeter must have been the late 1990’s...They did not leave much of a impression..More a yawn..

Oldsmobile-88

Costello was very good down there think I ended up with his tie and a guitar lead ....... always liked to come away with a bit of memorabilia back then.
I wanted to see a Elvis Costello gig at the Great Hall in Jan 1979,his stock was really high at the time,but iirc only 30 tickets were made available(from Pitts Records in High St)to anyone who was not in The Students Union which lead to a bit of bad blood at the time.
A similar senario happened about a year before when the Stranglers were due to play there,they pulled the gig when they heard about the ticketing restrictions.

mustangspeed2006

1. Blur. Hyde Park, 2009. I drove there and back with a friend from Exeter — almost 24 hours on the go and still had time to check my university results for the year at campus afterwards. Florence & the Machine were the support act that day after they had just reached #1 in the UK charts. My friend and I had staked out an excellent spot four or five rows back from the stage several hours before Blur were due to start. It was one of the hottest days of the year and we had nothing to drink after finishing the drinks we had brought fairly quickly. I remember going to a Subway fast food joint straight after the gig and ordering three bottles of water (no food) just for myself. My friend said he'd happily stay up to keep me company for the journey back, but fell asleep as we passed Reading. He woke up just after Cullompton services and said, "Well, that was quick!" Good times.

2. Radiohead. Berlin, 2016. An excellent unforgettable performance after numerous "meh" warm-up acts. Another gig where I thought I'd die of dehydration in the heat.

3. Fat Boy Slim. Berlin, 2015. An excellent two-hour set with a few hidden treasures.

4. Atlantic Rock Rats Rally. Bideford, 2000. My first-ever festival (taken by my father), it's a day that still lives long in the memory. The festival featured The Vibrators, The Stranglers, and The Stiff Little Fingers. My favourite act was the Scottish Clash cover band playing early in the marquee though.

5. Editors. Berlin, 2014. A great rocking set with good company. Another day out in the sun with beer.

Last edited:

iscalad

Georgia Satellites - Sheffield Poly 1990
Def Leppard - Birmingham NEC 1992 (in the round)
All About Eve - Exeter Phoenix 2002
Fields of the Nephilim - London Astoria 2007
New Model Army - Exeter Phoenix 2016
Saw Def Leppard at the Lemon Grove. That was some gig.

Oldsmobile-88

Saw Def Leppard at the Lemon Grove. That was some gig.
That is a great venue..Much better than the Great Hall for gigs...Saw the Manic St Preachers there a couple of times later 1991/early 1992 before they went stratospheric..

iscalad

That is a great venue..Much better than the Great Hall for gigs...Saw the Manic St Preachers there a couple of times later 1991/early 1992 before they went stratospheric..
Used to work for the SU. Often worked the Lemmie. Saw some great gigs there. Lenny Henry on opening night. Wow.

Mackster

In no particular order:

Half Man Half Biscuit - Roadwater Village Hall. No ticketmaster nonsense for this one, to get tickets you had to send an SAE to a chap in the village. Ended up strolling to the gig in the company of the band's singer, got drunk with the upstart and hitchhiked back to our digs.

Half Man Half Biscuit - The Square and Compass. Another gig in the middle of nowhere. Got drunk with Mr Jan Yeo and hitchhiked back to our digs. Jan was sick in a bin.

Neko Case - Village Underground. Drove to London for this. Totally worth it - Neko is God.

Beastie Boys - Glastonbury '95(?). Ill Communication had just come out, Beasties at their peak.

Senseless Things - Lemongrove 1992(?). Best punk rock live act ever.

Honorable mentions to Dark Dark Dark, Slayer and Carter USM.
Good list Swanny, I saw the Senseless Things & Carter back in 92.

Mine in no order

Super Furry Animals - Brixton Academy - was the day Theresa was elected

Orbital/Pulp - Glasto '95

Pixies - Brixton Academy 2016

Gorillaz - O2 last December

Arcade Fire - a few weeks ago - was virtually standing on the stage

Honourable mention to the Rolling Stones who I saw last Tuesday. They still have it. Saw xx & Lorde yesterday, pile of poo.

Any exeweb Londoners should go and see this next weekend: https://camdenrocksfestival.com/ 200 bands PiL headlining for £40

Mr Jinx

I was watching the BBC documentary on Bob Marley last night when they went over some of his early UK tours with the Wailers.

Up popped Exmouth Rolle College, May 1973! Did anyone here make it to that legendary night? If so, please share...

grecIAN Harris

I've only ever been to one gig but it was the only band I would ever regret not seeing live.......... Madness at the Pavilions. The one place I would have to seen them live was that huge gig they did at Finsbury Park.