• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yay or Nay: The Royal Family

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
A better day for Ginge it has to be said.

And now he has the bit between his teeth (or at least he thinks he does). And Piers Morgan is spitting feathers.

The thing about phone hacking...it wasn't really hacking. Well, not as we know it now. A 5 year old could've done it.

Phone companies are culpable because they set all customers up with a voicemail default password of '0000' and of course barely anyone ever changed it.

Obviously there were times where the "journalists" overstepped the mark (Milly Dowler for instance), but everything else was fair game in my eyes.
Phone hacking is the modern day equivalent of those old press hacks going through bins, intercepting letters etc, As for Morgan, He's a **** tbh and he was editor at the time so the buck does stop with him. Remember his false front page of the Mirror of British soldiers allegedly stamping on an Iraqi flag and it was a made up photo? The judge in this case said the Mirror did it in a number of cases. Harry will make a great deal out of this.

Avening Posse

Phone hacking is the modern day equivalent of those old press hacks going through bins, intercepting letters etc, As for Morgan, He's a **** tbh and he was editor at the time so the buck does stop with him. Remember his false front page of the Mirror of British soldiers allegedly stamping on an Iraqi flag and it was a made up photo? The judge in this case said the Mirror did it in a number of cases. Harry will make a great deal out of this.
It has always bugged me that the likes of Piers Morgan never get their come uppance. A truly despicable man

Mr Jinx

A truly despicable man
How so? I appreciate he's not eveyone's cup of tea, but he's hardly the devil incarnate.

DB9

It has always bugged me that the likes of Piers Morgan never get their come uppance. A truly despicable man
He's a bit of a turd yes but he's an old school hack, Just happened to like being talked about as well as being a reporter.

lamrobhero

Mr Morgan was very careful with his language and did not address the issue properly. What a surprise. He can give it but can't take it.

Spoonz Red E

Newspaper editors and 'news' personalities have 2 levels of power.

They can offer client journalism to the government of the day.
Handy for when you want to, for instance, get the second half of an enquiry into press practices shelved. (Thanks Levison but no thanks)

They can shape the narrative.
Pretty useful for destroying reputations by onslaught and if the shaping isn't honest just make it more persistent.

If they get caught out?
As minimal a regulatory apology as possible and a few cheques to settle out of court will suffice.

Avening Posse

How so? I appreciate he's not eveyone's cup of tea, but he's hardly the devil incarnate.
It's the come uppance bit that bothers me Jinx, the Charlotte Church interview where he actually told her how to phone tap as if it was some sort of badge of honour knowing how to do it really riles me. It was a long time ago but I think he was still the Editor at the Mirror when he did that. And I simply do not believe he did not know, or did not turn a blind eye when the phone taps by his people were occurring. But he gets away with it, and it bothers me !. Phone tapping by the media is just plain wrong, but he carries on being a media celebrity all blase and smug with his carefully worded deniability..........okay maybe it's me, I am getting angry just thinking about him, need to calm down.....

Mr Jinx

It's the come uppance bit that bothers me Jinx, the Charlotte Church interview where he actually told her how to phone tap as if it was some sort of badge of honour knowing how to do it really riles me. It was a long time ago but I think he was still the Editor at the Mirror when he did that. And I simply do not believe he did not know, or did not turn a blind eye when the phone taps by his people were occurring. But he gets away with it, and it bothers me !. Phone tapping by the media is just plain wrong, but he carries on being a media celebrity all blase and smug with his carefully worded deniability..........okay maybe it's me, I am getting angry just thinking about him, need to calm down.....
Do you know how the phone tap worked?

Avening Posse

Do you know how the phone tap worked?
I had no idea at the time but did read somewhere how easy it could be done if phone owners hadn’t changed their security pin. I hope you aren’t alluding to the ease of it makes it okay for journalists? but you’re probably not and don’t want to put words into your mouth

Mr Jinx

I had no idea at the time but did read somewhere how easy it could be done if phone owners hadn’t changed their security pin. I hope you aren’t alluding to the ease of it makes it okay for journalists? but you’re probably not and don’t want to put words into your mouth
Tis funny. If a company gets hacked and has its data either stolen or destroyed, you don't see the IT manager/director moan and whine about the evil hackers. Quite often they'll be fired or resign due to their and their subordinates ineptitude.

Hacking is child's play. It's up to the individuals and the providers to keep data safe and secure. I'm currently suing Capita for my personal details being obtained, not the Russian hacking boiler room.