• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WTF does Matt Jay have to do to get in the side???

Ash

I think the thread title just about covers it really, but seriously, how can he be left out of the team on current form?
I'd have in there over Law sometimes, or ahead of Lee Martin or Ajose up front.
Why on earth KMT left MJ on the bench for the last two games, when we were desperate for a goal in both games, is utterly beyond me.
MJ has the best goals to minutes ratio at the club. He also has the best assists to minutes ratio at the club, ahead of even Randell Williams.
One way or another, in some position or other, he has to play! This is beginning to remind me of last season, when Aaron Martin was consistently overlooked, despite looking like our best centre back whenever he was given an opportunity.
Somebody please enlighten me, I'm finding it all sooooo frustrating.

Reactions: Egg

Copernicus

I agree with you, it is very strange.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thinking exactly the same. As with others, was expecting MJ to replace LM @ 70 min mark, and although JT did OK, we lacked sharpness and guile up top throughout.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought Law had a good game. MJ was relatively anonymous in his last run out and we wrestled control of the game when Taylor came on. Just didn't quite have the necessary guile or luck to nick one. Crewe were on top before the change though.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's very strange. Bowman was desperate for some pace and composure around him up top, and the game was similarly poised to when MJ's cameo saw us beat Steveange last month.

TOP_CITY_FAN

Be half decent at football would be a start.

Boyo

Law was our best player by a country mile yesterday. MJ plays the same role as Law. MJ is less effective when deployed up front. He likes to have players ahead of him.

Bringing Taylor on was the right call. We dominated the last 15 mins.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Law was our best player by a country mile yesterday. MJ plays the same role as Law. MJ is less effective when deployed up front. He likes to have players ahead of him.

Bringing Taylor on was the right call. We dominated the last 15 mins.
Agreed. I really like Matt Jay, but I would suggest that the problems we have been facing with our pitch, probably don't favour a player like Jay. I would not be at all surprised if he starts at Walwall on Saturday though.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Basically the answer is this: since very early in the season, MT decided that Matt Jay only starts or comes on as sub in Nicky Law's position. He doesn't consider him in other positions and has been very consistent on this. He must have his reasons, though I do agree with the OP that he is worth a try as a support striker in place of either Ajose or L Martin. I do think that the state of the home pitch doesn't favour Jay and his excellent (for our level) technical skills, and he has suffered from being in contention for a place against a player (Law) who the manager has consistently said is our most creative player. Last night there was definitely a lack of creativity going forward and Jay might well have found a way to get into space that other players failed to do. His movement off the ball is always spot on for me, when we have the ball and when we don't.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most of us (me included) bemoaned the fact Law was playing on the left hand side for most of last season, he has generally played centrally this season and you could argue he hasn't been as good.

I wouldn't be against playing:

Williams Jay Law

Bowman

This formation fits Jay and Law in the side and could benefit Dickenson as Law is a much more reliable ball player than Williams, Dickenson could be a very big threat for us however he needs players capable of playing him in, last night Williams was hopeless at this.

Reactions: Ash