• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
12th April 1958 lost away to Northampton Town 9 - 0 did not see the game but listened in shocked silence to a brief report of the match on the old Home Service program (now Radio 4) if my memory serves me correctly it was called “Sport in the West”......long before the days of Radio Devon and live commentaries.

Ended season 24th and along with Northampton and the remaining lowest placed 10 teams became one of the founder members of the new Fourth Division.
Following season played Northampton away 11th October 1958 drew 1 - 1 Johnny Nicholls scoring for City and ended season 5th just pipped for promotion by Arthur Rowley’s Shrewsbury Town.

wrexham away circa 2002,under John Cornforth,lost 0 .4 nightmare evening match.
TheManFromDelMonte.

He says........I was there......took two hours to get there (from Midlands), about 30 of us in the away end, 3-0 down after 20 mins (from memory), darned freezing as well......horrible evening. (y)

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
2010 - Orient 3-0 Exeter. Bit controversial this one, I'm pretty sure it was the first game played after we had lost Stanno and it was too soon for the players as well as the fans - no-one was up for it that day, defeat was inevitable, albeit understandable.
Crossed my mind as well, but thought it best not mentioned because you're right about the Stanno connection. The Hindu wedding outside the ground lifted the spirits though. That Brighton game at the Withdean, yes, utterly grim but I quite enjoyed the Chester 1 - 5 farce, even standing knee deep in water with my lad at the bottom of the bank. Liverpool, obviously. A mate went to the Barnet 0 0 - not a shot on target all night apparently... Happy days :)

StroudGrecian

Crossed my mind as well, but thought it best not mentioned because you're right about the Stanno connection. The Hindu wedding outside the ground lifted the spirits though.
Forgot to mention it was also bloody expensive - cost me £50 for tickets for me and my 2 kids, then aged 11 and 7.

Oldsmobile-88

Forgot to mention it was also bloody expensive - cost me £50 for tickets for me and my 2 kids, then aged 11 and 7.
That would be steep now,let alone 9 years ago.

I took my son to Brisbane Road in 93/94 & the gateman said “just said lift him over the turnstile” :D

sidney

That would be steep now,let alone 9 years ago.

I took my son to Brisbane Road in 93/94 & the gateman said “just said lift him over the turnstile” :D
I seem to remember I was always lifted over the turnstile in the mid 1960s at home games. We sat in the OG.

andrew p long

Cambridge united away October 2019?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Indeed!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A definite rival for Mystic Meg.

budegrecian

Not long back & one I certainly want to forget!