• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

ECFC89

That game turned one moment. When that horrible, little tw@t up front (I can see his face but can't remember his name)cleaned out Steve Tully and didn't even get booked let alone the sending off he should have got.
I have never seen an attempt at a tackle like it, for the main reason he launched himself at the height of four foot, as well as being about four feet from Steve Tully. He was so far out when he began to make that challenge.

Red Bill

I seem to remember beating Workington at home in 1975 1-0, an awful game and desperate for the ref to end the game. Their keeper wanted to know how much time was left, the response from us, was time you were out of the league.

In a strange episode of coincidence, as this is the only programme I have from the 70s, heer's the evidence to back up your vote Hants. John Newman's programme notes from the following match against Shrewsbury on 29/5/75. Clearly it didn't take long for the natives to get restless!!!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
That game turned one moment. When that horrible, little tw@t up front (I can see his face but can't remember his name)cleaned out Steve Tully and didn't even get booked let alone the sending off he should have got.
Jack Lester ???

Oldsmobile-88

I witnessed Brighton 2-8 Bristol Rovers at their old Goldstone ground (Brighton scoring the first and last goals). Fair play to the Seagulls fans though, who from the time Rovers got their 5th before half time, they turned it into a party, cheering and clapping everything from both teams !
Memorably on The Big Match on the Sunday.
Brian Clough had only been at Brighton a few weeks after being sensationally sacked by Derby a few weeks previously..His son Nigel who was only about 7 at the time was in the dugout with him !

wiveygrecian

Jack Lester ???
Jamie Ward

Oldsmobile-88

The 6:3 defeat at WestBrom at the beginning of 91/92 has got to be right up there...we were truly awful that day and our three goals certainly flattered us...in-fact the whole of August was pretty horrific that year but credit to Bally for sorting it out as quick as he did.
Dodgy goalkeeping that day...Mark Cooper scored a wonderful goal to equalise,downhill from then onwards.
Very entertaining though.

A similar drubbing in the last game of that season at Darlington.

Grecian Max

Losing 5-2 at home to Kidderminster with less than 2,000 fans at SJP has got to be a low point

CC

Losing 5-2 at home to Kidderminster with less than 2,000 fans at SJP has got to be a low point
It certainly felt like it. I remember one of the city players tripped someone and our own crowd were shouting ‘off off off’. I want to say it was Andy Roscoe but I’m not sure.
It wasn’t a great atmosphere. Ironically, Glenn Cronin, one of our players who the crowd hadn’t turned on, was sent off right at the end.

ecfc70

League cup 0-4 loss against Barnet in the mid 90s on a cold, wet and truly miserable Tuesday night, think we were 3 down by half time and is one of the only times I have ever left a game before the final whistle

Red faced

I cant recall seeing anyone mentioning the 1-0 home defeat to the Mighty Canvey Island when we were in the Blue square. I think we then dropped to our lowest ever position. tbf the game should have been postponed - pitch was pretty waterlogged . It was literally the poorest game ,regardless of standard, I have ever seen live. My dad, who had never ever left a city match early in 60 years... left the game early!!