• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup starting XI

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Sterling showed plenty of maturity. He could have easily got wound up when being attacked by Valencia. Hr made a grrat tackle and Valencia jumped up and grabbed him by the throat and slapped him. Sterling did nothing wrong at all.
Wrong. As Hoddle said afterwards, it was a tackle that will get a red card in the World Cup. In this country he'd probably have a word said by the ref and that'd be the end of it, but in tournaments it's completely different. Plus, in a friendly, there was no need to make such a tackle either - his foot was high and over the ball and the tackle was rash and immature.

Grecian_Jay

Wrong. As Hoddle said afterwards, it was a tackle that will get a red card in the World Cup. In this country he'd probably have a word said by the ref and that'd be the end of it, but in tournaments it's completely different. Plus, in a friendly, there was no need to make such a tackle either - his foot was high and over the ball and the tackle was rash and immature.
Nah I'm not having it. It was a great challenge, got the ball and took the man, The ref wasn't even going to book him until Valencia acted like a tw@t, he was already walking away.

Sterling acted well afterwards when many (Rooney for exanmple) wouldn't have.

Antony Moxey

Nah I'm not having it.
It doesn't matter whether you're having it or not. Personally I had no problem at all with the challenge, however you know what refs are like when the tournaments come around - if he does that against the Italians or Uraguayans, with their ridiculous histrionics, good tackle or not he'll be sent off.

He does it in the Prem no-one bats an eyelid, do it in a tournament and it's WW3 and you're off. You know it is, too.

Grecian_Jay

It doesn't matter whether you're having it or not. Personally I had no problem at all with the challenge, however you know what refs are like when the tournaments come around - if he does that against the Italians or Uraguayans, with their ridiculous histrionics, good tackle or not he'll be sent off.

He does it in the Prem no-one bats an eyelid, do it in a tournament and it's WW3 and you're off. You know it is, too.
I see where you're coming from on the basis that most players will roll around or make it worse so I take your point. I don't think the ref was bothered by the challenge though so shouldn't have been influenced so easily. My point was more based on hopefully most other refs won't be conned so easily but I'm probanly being more hopeful than realistic with that.

Mr Jinx

Poor showing last night: lots of potential, very little sign of any of it being realised.
I think it's a case of too many wild cards and not enough sure bets when it should be the other way round. Sterling, Barclay, Henderson, Lallana & Lambert have had a good season, but that's about it. They're a gamble. Ox & Wilshere haven't even had that good a season. As for Jones, Smalling & Welbeck, they are three reasons Man U have fallen away. I hope they don't feature. And as for the sure fire bets, you look to Rooney who's barely ever done anything ever in an England shirt and it looks to continue that way, sadly. This is the world stage. It only comes around once every four years. You'd hope some of them would realise that.

I would've taken Ashley Cole, and somehow gotten Terry back on board (I know, one can but dream). Losing Walcott was a huge blow.

Last edited:

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ox was really good tonight I thought. Hopefully the injury he picked up isn't serious.
http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-World-Cup-2014/news/12016/9338927/world-cup-englands-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-could-be-out-for-three-weeks-with-knee-injury

10 days to 3 weeks. Hopefully the former. Still worth taking in my opinion as there is no one we could call up from the stand by list who is any good.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Milner at right back could be interesting. Chances are he will be better than Glen Johnson.
After last night?

grecIAN Harris

After last night?
You don't always get what you wish for.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-World-Cup-2014/news/12016/9338927/world-cup-englands-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-could-be-out-for-three-weeks-with-knee-injury

10 days to 3 weeks. Hopefully the former. Still worth taking in my opinion as there is no one we could call up from the stand by list who is any good.
How long do we have to decide whether to keep him or call in a replacement?

LOG

That stand by list is terrible.