• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup : Qatar Nov/Dec 2022.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was talking to a chap at the party yesterday and I said to him that IF, big if, we beat France there is no other team left that we can't beat.
Its the hope that kills

iscalad

Its the hope that kills
Sadly, so very true.

Colesman Ballz

I was talking to a chap at the party yesterday and I said to him that IF, big if, we beat France there is no other team left that we can't beat.
The last time that the French beat the English was at Hastings in 1066. Since then we have had the likes of Agincourt, and Waterloo plus even had to help bail them out in two World Wars ! :cool:

Alistair20000

The last time that the French beat the English was at Hastings in 1066. Since then we have had the likes of Agincourt, and Waterloo plus even had to help bail them out in two World Wars ! :cool:
Au contraire. I saw a show at Puy Du Fou where a young French lass beat a whole British army singlehandedly. Here is the blurb.

A medieval adventure on a grand scale! During the Hundred Years’ War, Jeanne la Lorraine comes to meet the knight Fulgent, to gather all the best warriors ready to fight the English. After the knights' departure for Orléans, Marguerite, a young shepherdess, finds herself alone at the château. She will need to unveil the secret of a lance with amazing powers so she can protect the enchanted ramparts of the château in the midst of a battle. Follow the story of this brave and fearless character!

Love the French with their imagined military prowess. :)

Rosencrantz

The French all but ran us out of the Peninsula in 1809, killing Sir John Moore (brother of Thomas 😉) whilst they were at it. Luckily we had this chap Wellesley waiting on the bench and he came up trumps 🙂.

Red Devon

Tremendous penalties from the Croatians.

Thought they were gone once Brazil took the lead in ET.
Crazy decision not to let Neymar take the fourth

Alistair20000

Aye. Most odd.

iscalad

Should have taken the first

Red Devon

Should have taken the first
Modric’s was a real pressure penalty at 2:1 but what a way to put it away

Bridgy 81

It looks like this World Cup thread has morphed into a history one.
So let me just say I’ve been to both Apsley House in London where the Duke of Wellington lived and Walmer Castle where he died, both English Heritage properties.
Plus, the Spoons pub in Wellington is called The Iron Duke, if that’s of interest to anyone.
And the National Trust has recently done up the nearby Wellington Monument and very nice it is too.
But, back to football.
Come one England tomorrow evening, but more importantly let’s get 3 points for us tomorrow afternoon.