• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup Predictions

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The thing is I'm not as pessimistic as most as far as England are concerned. I think the lack of the usual pressure combined with the youthful exuberance will see us do a lot better than the expectation for a change. Italy's form at the moment is poor at the moment (seven games without a win), so we will get off to a better start than expected (most predicting defeat, I reckon we'll get robbed of a win). Most people's fear of Uruguay is based on The Rabid Chipmunk/Cavani front line but what else do they have. At the other end of the pitch they have an ageing back four which the likes of Sturridge and Sterling should be able to leave for dead without to much effort and then there's Costa Rica. Do we really expect not to win against them???? Fair enough, they won't be the walk in the park that sides like them use to be but surely we have enough quality to despatch of them comfortably.
Tend to agree with all of that, I also believe the players will be much more focused on the job in hand this time around, as the usual absurd and damaging gutter press approach which has clearly affected the players in the past, seems to be fairly absent for this one. No doubt it will build as the tournament progresses, but the very nature of progression means we would have to be doing well, and therefore not much for them to moan about. I'm quietly confident we will surpass expectations as long as key players do not get injured, especially at the back

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A bit of handbags in the Dutch training camp! http://www.exeweb.com/2014/06/09/brazil-2014-3-days-to-go/

Avening Posse

As an aside, at my work we have done a sweep stake, and all participants agreed to dress in the national costume of whoever they got.......I drew Cameroon.......I don't know anybody from Cameroon to borrow any gear from........getting desperate and may have to go to work in thursday dressed in a very colourful curtain :)

StroudGrecian

As an aside, at my work we have done a sweep stake, and all participants agreed to dress in the national costume of whoever they got.......I drew Cameroon.......I don't know anybody from Cameroon to borrow any gear from........getting desperate and may have to go to work in thursday dressed in a very colourful curtain :)
Dress up like a Tory toff **** and say you thought you'd drawn Cameron.

Avening Posse

Dress up like a Tory toff **** and say you thought you'd drawn Cameron.
Couldn't possibly, would get lynched at my work if I did that, and the Mrs wouldn't let me get out of the house if she spotted me either !

Mr Jinx

So a few of us left in the running for predicting the winner. Interesting that no-one had Germany down as winners. I guess its in our DNA. A couple of us also had England not getting out of the group.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
So a few of us left in the running for predicting the winner. Interesting that no-one had Germany down as winners. I guess its in our DNA. A couple of us also had England not getting out of the group.
I had the Germans getting to the final , but losing to England - of course that was tongue in cheek.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haha! Fred as top goalscorer. Deary me. :$

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think a winner should be crowned.

Ignoring Q7, which clearly Cannavaro won by a country mile, I've awarded 2 points for a spot-on answer and 1 point for being close (winner being runner-up, dark-horse making quarters etc)

On that basis, I make it Memoman and Jay have 5 points each, but Memo takes it on penalties for his 2 correct answers.

Many congratulations, you and a guest win dinner for two with Mr and Mrs Coles

Mr Jinx

but Memo takes it on penalties for his 2 correct answers.
Seriously? I think he should forced to don sackcloth and ashes simply for predicting Fred as top scorer and England to get to the quarters.