• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Women's World Cup

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
So you're sharpening up your argument provoking attitude for the new season already? Its been an excellent tournament and I've barely missed a game; much like many other soccer fans throughout the world. An excellent advert for the game, although I doubt if it'll help their game unfortunately; All back to work next week.
The US team are obviously in a league above others and deserved it, From an England point of view we did ok but the end was a whimper, As for the tournament it was well organised, Crowds were disappointing for some games, VAR still needs work and the quality of some of the football (Not Soccer) was a lot to be desired. One thing that did annoy me was the media virtually trying to "Force" us to enjoy it rather than let us make our own minds up. It's clearing going places and hopefully money will be pumped into it to invest in future players but for me unlike the men's game i wasn't watching every game for the sake of it

Red Devon

USA well deserved winners...outstanding goal from Rose Lavelle and why was that not a penalty for the push on Alex Morgan in the first half it didn’t even go to VAR.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So you're sharpening up your argument provoking attitude for the new season already?
What the hell are you on about now ? I ask a normal question and you go off on one of your rants as per.

I don't watch a European or World cup final / semi final if England aren't involved and even less motivated to watch it if its women's football , just don't do anything for me and have probably seen about 2 minutes of the entire tournament which was 1.30 longer than I normally would.
And as there were 0 posts between 10.22 and 16.09 hrs (real time) it didn't seem that anyone else was interested in watching it either.

PeteUSA

USA well deserved winners...outstanding goal from Rose Lavelle and why was that not a penalty for the push on Alex Morgan in the first half it didn’t even go to VAR.
It didnt go to VAR because referee's are getting the measure of Alex Morgan. She throws her arms up and goes over dramatically if anybody goes anywhere near her from behind. That push incident was no exception. Morgan knew the girl was in close proximity and waited for contact. When it came she was down like a sack of s**t! I expected a VAR review request from the control room, but wasnt a bit surprised it didnt come.

As for that penalty, I think the defender was exremely hard done by with that award. Okay her boot was high in order to get the ball, but she clearly had no idea that a US player was coming in from the side. As for the US team, I'm sick of the sight of them to be honest. I've had Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe up the wazoo!

Avening Posse

From the bits I managed to see, I really enjoyed this tournament, and would definitely pay to watch women's football at that level. I'm not sure why some people continue to try and compare it to the men's game, as clearly there are differences in terms of strength etc etc. In terms of entertainment, I thought it was great, I really like seeing the game played in the right spirit (which aside from one or two exceptions it was), and I really like seeing the players have a bit more time on the ball to pick passes, show skill etc. I thought the England team had bags of skills, especially going forward, and were a bit unlucky against the USA, although the USA did deserve the win I reckon. There was massive interest in this tournament as well, and that does not surprise me at all

Stelios

I really like seeing the players have a bit more time on the ball to pick passes, show skill etc.
It was the distinct lack of skill that really stood out to me. I've also never seen so many misplaced, over-hit or under-hit passes in any football tournament. I came out of it with a new respect for League 2 footballers. I enjoyed the latter stages more where teams were competitive. A considerable amount of rank football on display as whole though. Japan were a joy to watch but not crushed physically. Did feel at times I was in Soviet Russia. Why are the images I'm seeing with my own eyes not comparable with what I'm being told I'm watching by the media?

Keepers definitely improving. No need to make goals smaller for now because the shooting (or ability to move the ball out from under one's feet to get a shot in) is so poor on the whole.

USA were miles ahead of most teams and fully deserved the win. Also the most aggressive team in the tackle to get the ball back ASAP.

I still hate everything about the presentation (although this is increasingly the case with all sport to be fair - men and women's). Just the weird Omertà about anything bad. Everyone "on message". One little example from last night but it's been going on for weeks. They were comparing viewing figures with the last Womens' World Cup. Basically 4 x as many were watching this time. Great. Brilliant. No mention was made that the last WWC took place IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT in the UK whereas this one was weekend afternoons or peak time midweek. Millions watch Wimbledon every year. How many are members of a tennis club?

We are constantly ordered not to compare it to the men's game. Not to compare it to anything. But they (presenters/pundits/journalists) constantly compare apples with oranges. Constantly. All the time. I find it nauseating and exhausting. Although oranges are not the only fruit, of course......... (sorry)

The game IS undoubtably growing and will continue to do so. I'm not denying it. NO ONE IS DENYING IT. Every programme/discussion now has to have a segment where they earnestly say "Women's football doesn't have to justify itself anymore. It's here. It's arrived". Great. Then they spend the next 2 hours trying to justify it and comparing/contrasting with everything else. Just shut up. Please! Just shut up and talk about the football. By saying "Women's football doesn't have to justify itself anymore" every single time you discuss it you are literally doing just that.

Mustn't compare it to the men's game but coverage should be compared. Money should be compared. Sponsorship should be compared. Stadiums should be compared. Crowds should be compared. Viewing figures should be compared. But I repeat. We mustn't compare it to the men's game. Obviously they're completely different entities.

Ellen White's World Cup goals getting compared to Harry Kane/Gary Lineker's? Really? I thought we weren't meant to compare? Just yesterday in the women's cricket I'm seeing Ellyse Perry's (amazing) bowling figures in a list of great Ashes bowling figures alongside Glenn McGrath. I mean really? Are you sure you want to go down that path? Because it won't end well.

The tempo of the games, pace of play. The lack of diving/cheating (though it is still there). Respect for officials (on the whole). The general positivity around the stadiums etc. The fact a family can go and enjoy football without fear of unpleasantness etc are all great things. There are lots of aspects of the men's game I find appalling (both on and off the field). The question now is whether the women's will grow without taking on the worst aspects of the men's game. Knowing how money/greed/human nature works I will not be holding my breath.

The paradox of women's football is that it's greatest strengths and weakness are that it is not like the men's game. If it becomes more like the men's game it will be a worse game to watch because you'll just be watching a worse version of men's football instead of a game that is distinctly different? On the whole it's an open and free flowing and naive style of football. "You attack then we attack". A lot of this is down to an absence of technical and tactical ability. If this improves will it 'weaken' the game?

Last edited:

Stelios

Japan were a joy to watch but got crushed physically.
Just correcting a typo

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
VAR is slowly killing the game IMO. The whole point was to eliminate glaring errors, but if you have to watch an incident multiple times though multiple angles then the ‘error’ isn’t glaring. I don’t mind it for absolutes like offside or whether the ball crosses a line, but the ‘handball’ against the English forward ruling out an equaliser was ridiculous.
Jesus knows how to deal with VAR :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48897389

LOG

A very enjoyable tournament and whilst i found it easy to dislike them, USA deserved to win. 4th was about right for England, although i really don't see the point in a 3d/4th place play-off.

DB9

although i really don't see the point in a 3d/4th place play-off.
That goes for the men's game too