• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Women's World Cup

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
If one of City's players had scored this, we would be talking about it for years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48794592?fbclid=IwAR0Xd-me8uVEQEe0L00g6LFKM6GFSK0OI8cQyf9gOPVIDD0A8PvDAnApvtM

Red Devon

Absolutely stunning goal from Lucy Bronze...Phil Neville called her the best player in the world

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another set of good viewing figures for the England game. Compare and contrast will tiny audience numbers for Women's cricket who have sold their soul to Sky. Wide exposure will be good for the game.

StroudGrecian

At the moment I cannot see how England won't win Women's World Cup. I was led to believe they'd do well to get to the semis but they've got the semis now and barely looked in trouble for 1 minute. They create chances for fun. They can score from all over. They're fitter and faster than the other sides. Norway defenders were running through treacle. Their left back (Meide?) Oh dear. Like a pub player up against Gareth Bale.

England can be dodgy and open at the back at times but it doesn't matter because the quality of the opposition and their decision making (or lack of) is so poor. I can't see a team scoring more goals than England in a game. So I can't see how they won't win.
Guess you haven't watched any of the USA or France games then (or even Germany to a certain extent). USA in particular look powerful. Tonight's match should be a cracker but I fully expect USA to win, both tonight and overall.

LOG

Guess you haven't watched any of the USA or France games then (or even Germany to a certain extent). USA in particular look powerful. Tonight's match should be a cracker but I fully expect USA to win, both tonight and overall.
Although i'm crap at perdictions, i'm with you, Stroundington.

The USA have it in them to steamroller sides given their technical ability and sheer physical strength. I haven't seen another side come close to them in that respect.

As for us, as good a win as last night was, Norway were very poor. I'll be keeping me fingers crossed but think we're probably three or four players short of being good enough to win it.

IndoMike

At the moment I cannot see how England won't win Women's World Cup. I was led to believe they'd do well to get to the semis but they've got the semis now and barely looked in trouble for 1 minute. They create chances for fun. They can score from all over. They're fitter and faster than the other sides. Norway defenders were running through treacle. Their left back (Meide?) Oh dear. Like a pub player up against Gareth Bale.

England can be dodgy and open at the back at times but it doesn't matter because the quality of the opposition and their decision making (or lack of) is so poor. I can't see a team scoring more goals than England in a game. So I can't see how they won't win.
Don't think it will be a walk in the park for England to win this. As dear old Tis used to say, the other team plays, too. You'd think that the US would be favourites - although they only beat Spain 2-1 with two penalties - or France, with home advantage.

iscalad

Another set of good viewing figures for the England game. Compare and contrast will tiny audience numbers for Women's cricket who have sold their soul to Sky. Wide exposure will be good for the game.
Got any numbers? Men's cricket is on Sky as well.:(

Stelios

Correct. I know nothing about women's football apart from watching a few tournament games over the years. I've dipped in and out of this tournament. The quality is so poor it's laughable at times so I can't take it too seriously. Maybe the quality will finally improve but we're running out of games. I was led to believe Norway were a good side so by now I'm taking it all with a large dose of salt. I was told via TV/radio that Scotland, Argentina, Japan and Cameroon would be difficult games too. England have conceded one goal so far I think.

Everyone in "the media" is treading on eggshells for fear of not supporting the women's game so the pundits/commentators rarely mention the rank football and appalling level of skill and decision making on display at times. (Yes, there is excellent football too). So it's impossible to gauge how good or bad a team is unless you watch all the games yourself. What I see hasn't correlated with what I've been told so I'm very much a sceptic at the moment.

England are brilliant going forward but the defending against them has been awful too so how do you judge? Is the defending awful because England are too good or because sides can't actually defend? Will sides suddenly be able to defend in the semis? Even the lauded England defence has tried their hardest in every game I've seen to gift goals to the opposition.

France have flattered to deceive and can't see them beating the USA but I honestly don't know how good each side actually is. If France do get through I'm putting my house on England beating them in the Semi. I know that USA is the powerhouse of the women's game (well that is what I've been told) and they may well be too strong for England if they get through but I'm not listening to pundits anymore re: the women's World Cup. Most of the teams I've seen and the football on display have been dreadful. England themselves look dreadful at times but they can also look brilliant. So who knows what will happen. They just seem to have the spirit and skill required to create and take their chances.

Will the level of their semi-final and final opponents be so good that England will fail all of a sudden? I don't know. I just can't see it. The games I've seen seem to consist of lots of terrible football interrupted by brief moments of skill. I just can't see a side nullifying England's attacking threats. But I may be completely wrong.

PS Bronze's goal was a great strike but it was straight at the keeper :)

IndoMike

USA go one up v Les Bleus. Very open game. Bleddy 2.20 a.m here.

Red Devon

Got any numbers? Men's cricket is on Sky as well.:(
They were saying just over 7 million on Radio 5 live today