• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Women's World Cup

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I briefly saw the kerfuffle on the news.

Was the chalked off Cameroon goal offside or not ?
Yes although the player was running backwards

Alistair20000

If VAR got it right why is Lionel unhappy with the decision?

Just interested like.

LOG

Just interested like.
Because no advantage was gained by the back of her boot being an inch offside (she was running away from the goal when the ball was played which is why it was the back of her boot). It's the same as with that Jesse Lingard goal against the Dutch. In both cases, there was no advantage gained by being so marginally offside, the advantage was gained from good attacking play and crap defending.

Last edited:

Red Devon

Just interested like.
Probably the length of time it took to make the decision 6 minutes I think they said in commentary.

It seemed like the foul on Fran Kirby for the England penalty decision was turned down just to keep the peace as we were 3:0 up at the time...was a stonewall pen IMO.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Because no advantage was gained by the back of her boot being an inch offside (she was running away from the goal when the ball was played which is why it was the back of her boot). It's the same as with that Jesse Lingard goal against the Dutch. In both cases, there was no advantage gained by being so marginally offside, the advantage was gained from good attacking play and crap defending.
Understood but is the rule for offside purely objective in these circumstances or can subjective opinion come into it ?

LOG

Understood but is the rule for offside purely objective in these circumstances or can subjective opinion come into it ?
The issue i have is that VAR means that the offside law takes no account of the actual situation, it's looking only at where various body parts are placed. It's been going that way for a while but VAR has turned it to an entirely binary decision and unless it changes we might as well watch a PlayStation play itself at FIFA.

Right, i'm going to watch France v Brazil to see if that can descend into farce too. FARCE!

Alistair20000

The issue i have is that VAR means that the offside law takes no account of the actual situation, it's looking only at where various body parts are placed. It's been going that way for a while but VAR has turned it to an entirely binary decision and unless it changes we might as well watch a PlayStation play itself at FIFA.

Right, i'm going to watch France v Brazil to see if that can descend into farce too. FARCE!
The rigidity of strict rules based analysis. I see where you are coming from but once the genie is let out........

les.gtfc

Use goalline technology by all means but sod all this VAR nonsense.

Even if we do end up with the correct decision to the letter of the law it's taking a hell of a lot of enjoyment away from the game for me.

Although on this occasion the decisions benefited England, that game was totally ruined by VAR.

It's bloody ridiculous. If it ever gets to our level and we are all cheering a winning goal in a Wembley play off final only for it to be snatched away because of an offside toe.

Top strikers who play on the shoulder of the last man are going to be hesitant now aren't they when previously they might get away with a marginal offside

Let the game and all its human mistakes (players and refs) flow.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
OMG. England keeper clears badly -Cameroon score with quick counter attack but goal INCORRECTLY disallowed for offside. The sh+t might hit the fan.
It was very similar to the Lingard goal that was disallowed literally inches in it but VAR did get it right. It also got our goal right the scorer was well onside and her England team mate out left was not in any interfering with the play.

We have good attacking players and overall a decent keeper but if we do not get our defence sorted out when we come up against the stronger sides we will inevitably concede more than we will score.

IndoMike

The irony is that people were worried that VAR would kill the post-match pub chat about controversial decisions, but VAR itself is creating quite a stir.
Sexton, I thought England moved the ball around well from defense to midfield and further forward but too many times midfielders and our attacker received the ball with their back to the defender. Cameroon were pretty good at intercepting and hounding. We didn't really create many chances and I would worry that a better team than Cameroon could shut us out.
I thought our keeper was a bit shaky and indecisive at times and also Cameroon found a lot of spaces in our penalty area but couldn't take advantage.
I was fairly entertained by the match - the quality is not on a par with men's football of course, but the open spaces around the field allowed quite a lot of attacking play and in general there was no time-wasting or play-acting. Yes, Cameroon felt hard done by and reacted badly : I thought the ref did the right thing by allowing the protests to die out naturally rather than take the easy way out by dishing out cards and possibly making the situation even worse. The unnatural break allowed the players to have a drink on a very hot day and there was no harm done by having
some time added. However, the nasty tackle on Houghton did deserve a red card : the line persons were poor throughout the game and made the ref's job more difficult.. I've seen worse refs at SJP and have been impressed with the refs, although their job in general has been made easier by the sportsmanship and lack of histrionics from the players.
VAR? For factual evidence it's good and fair for ball crossing lines, new handball rules, and I think offsides : nothing more infuriating than to see a good goal cancelled out by an incorrect offside decision. Having said that, even with VAR Cameroon's legit goal was disallowed.