• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our best ever manager was Terry Cooper in his first couple of years, somewhat ruined by his 'dodgy' sales later and returning to the club, and like virtually all managers ended up with the final memory of being sacked
Didn't answer my question as to why you don't "like" Matt Taylor. It's a bit weird.

Average Joe

I've got to admit, I didn't warm to MT to start with, I think it took him time to create a winning team, the attitude did not look right and I guess MT must have noticed something as he did a whole overhaul...

Now, two years on and I think MT is a manager who can perform at a much higher level, he's got the attitude that would work with big players. The best manager I've seen at City in my opinion.

dommers

Didn't answer my question as to why you don't "like" Matt Taylor. It's a bit weird.
If you really want an answer. Then it's because in my opinion he is very quick to signal out players for making mistakes Martin and Ray are the obvious ones but very rarely accepts he's done anything wrong. I don't think it does anyone any good to criticise players in public and discussions like these should be behind closed doors.
i also hate the way in which we have a tendency to surround the referee much more than other clubs do, something which surely comes as in instruction from the manager, and whilst I accept this is probably a reflection on the current state of football it doesn't mean I have to like it or want our club to do it.

Bridgy 81

If you really want an answer. Then it's because in my opinion he is very quick to signal out players for making mistakes Martin and Ray are the obvious ones but very rarely accepts he's done anything wrong. I don't think it does anyone any good to criticise players in public and discussions like these should be behind closed doors.
i also hate the way in which we have a tendency to surround the referee much more than other clubs do, something which surely comes as in instruction from the manager, and whilst I accept this is probably a reflection on the current state of football it doesn't mean I have to like it or want our club to do it.
I sort of understand your first point about criticising players but am not so sure about your second.
In fact it’s irritated me in the past that we didn’t try to influence the match official’s decisions more often.
It’s been done against us on countless occasions and invariably works.

ExmouthMart

It's not just that he's doing a first class job but that he's doing it with such decency. As the boys on the Big Bank Theory podcast said recently - you know you're never going to be embarrassed by Matt Taylor; there are a lot of fans who can't say that about their manager.
Don’t you find the end of season dissection of the failings of the released players uncomfortable viewing though?! It just seems unnecessarily brutal. Tom Parkes springs to mind. Everything is going very well at the moment with Matt Taylor. Whether you like him personally or not is irrelevant. It’s what he does as Manager of our team now and going forward. If you fall back on past glories you end up like the last Manager and judging by the consensus of opinion on here no one wants that.

DawlishBouy

Second place in the League Two fair play table and 6 fewer yellow cards than any other club and you don’t like the manager because you think we’re not proper chaps.

malcolms

When it comes to Dommers you have to accept that he regards the removal of PT from his position as Manager Emeritus of Exeter City, both unfair and unreasonable. As a consequence, anyone following in the footsteps of the 'great man' will be subject to (what some might describe) as unbalanced criticism...

ExmouthMart

Are you sure about trying to intimidate the ref?! I can’t think of too many in your face players at City at present, maybe Sweeney when he gets rattled but other than that they seem like a nice bunch of polite lads.

dommers

When it comes to Dommers you have to accept that he regards the removal of PT from his position as Manager Emeritus of Exeter City, both unfair and unreasonable.
You continue believing that and quoting it each time gets a bit boring. Probably like most of my posts mind you.

geoffwp

As it stands he's on the verge of finally taking us back up and I wouldn't it past him to eclipse Tisdale's 8th spot and thus consigning your "best eva manager 💕 " t-shirts to landfill
I seem to think there were two consecutive promotions involved but my memory might be letting me down of course, but hallelujah to Matt's first.