• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

City_Slicker

For the “average Joe” who is only interested on what they see on the pitch at St.James Park the question is after the initial “new Manager bounce” have we really improved since Tisdale left?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst no manager should ever be safe from the sack regardless of results, the hysteria over the recent run of results is ridiculous. It was only a few weeks ago we were talking about automatic promotion.

Call me unambitious, but even if we gave MT the boot, what's to say the person we bring in is any better?! Under MT we will never be relegated and won't blow our budget and go under. To me, having a competitive league 2 side is alright, that's realistically where we should be as a club. We will make the occasional visit to League 1 but then find ourselves back in our League 2 home.

I think people have been watching too much Premier League football, that's not how we do things. Actually a bit annoyed I responded to the thread...

dommers

Call me unambitious, but even if we gave MT the boot, what's to say the person we bring in is any better?! Under MT we will never be relegated and won't blow our budget and go under. To me, having a competitive league 2 side is alright, that's realistically where we should be as a club. We will make the occasional visit to League 1 but then find ourselves back in our League 2 home.
Having a competitive league 2 side is one way of putting it although if we can't get promoted with our current budget then we've blown the one chance I can remember of moving from a regular league 2 side to a regular league 1 side.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having a competitive league 2 side is one way of putting it although if we can't get promoted with our current budget then we've blown the one chance I can remember of moving from a regular league 2 side to a regular league 1 side.
The problem is, there are plenty of sides in League 2 with a bigger budget than us - even now.

Bradford, Salford, FGR, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers and likely more will almost certainly have a bigger wage budget than us. We have more money than we have had in a long time/ever, that's true, but that doesn't mean we are suddenly the Man City of League 2.

City_Slicker

I think the majority realised once Jay's goals started to dry up we would have a problem.

dommers

The problem is, there are plenty of sides in League 2 with a bigger budget than us - even now.

Bradford, Salford, FGR, Mansfield, Bristol Rovers and likely more will almost certainly have a bigger wage budget than us. We have more money than we have had in a long time/ever, that's true, but that doesn't mean we are suddenly the Man City of League 2.
I agree with you, but we still have more money than we've ever had and this was/is our opportunity to get it right. Others may have more money and it helps but doesn't guarantee success and we have to be in a position to capitalise when they get it wrong.

ExmouthMart

Whilst no manager should ever be safe from the sack regardless of results, the hysteria over the recent run of results is ridiculous. It was only a few weeks ago we were talking about automatic promotion.

I think people have been watching too much Premier League football, that's not how we do things. Actually a bit annoyed I responded to the thread...
“Under MT we will never be relegated…… “ Now that really is a sweeping statement! What exactly are you basing that on?! And to think some people think Tisdale had a messiah complex. We are always more likely to be relegated than promoted because of the very position we are in now. We can’t just sign the players we need to step up in results and quality. Like last season (I think!) we enquired about Stockley but couldn’t match the wages. We committed the undisclosed sum for the screen but who would argue against spending that on wages and getting us promoted would have been a better use of the money. I refer you to Mr Taggs explanation about the return on that investment….. Also I don’t think we could sustain life in League One but apparently according to the experts/insiders on here the figures add up.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter City haven't dismissed a manager since 2003 i.e. almost 19 years now. Even our 2012 relegation was glossed over as an unfortunate thing to happen to a proper chap.

If Taylor fails to get us promoted (I've always been vocal about my doubts) then we will almost certainly revert to the groundhog days of Tisdale's post-relegation League 2 years as the funds from our academy sales diminish, attendances decline and thus our playing budget being cut year-on-year in a downward cycle until he decides he has had enough.. No way will those in charge ever sack him. I just hope Taylor wakes up every morning and thanks his lucky stars that he is a manager at Exeter City and not any one of the other League One and Two clubs. One fortunate chap.
I don't agree with this. I can see our board acting to sack him if needed. Things have changed at City since those halcyon days of the Tis era.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What exactly is our budget and what was it in the previous ten seasons? Exact figures please, as it appears I’m the only one here who doesn’t know how much the manager has to spend each season.

Thanks in advance.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
No doubt there will be a big silence to that question. Exeweb guesswork = indisputable fact!!