• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

ExmouthMart

Bit strange this. On two counts. We are not out of it yet, by along way. Covid and injuries are effecting us but so is inconsistency (again!).
The second thing is Taylor is under no pressure because he doesn’t answer to an owner who wants a return on his or her investment. It’s the safest job in football. The Trust/Board don’t have the stomach to sack him or probably have the money to pay him off immediately. Also it would suddenly create a vacuum in the way the Club is set up and run. It’s very mutually beneficial just to keep things as they are. No one likes change or making difficult decisions that may or may not change things. The only thing that would derail everything would be if sellable players from the academy dried up and the tick over money stopped. We wouldn’t immediately run out of money but with the huge investment in the training ground just signed off by the Boards it could unravel quickly.
Taylor just has to better last season’s finish or would anything else be a backward step considering the backing in the squad building and things like the improvement in the pitch which was continually mentioned as holding us back.

i8cornwall

Let me get this right. If a manager gets off to a reasonably promising start, develops the team and academy well, but falls short of the ultimate goal because it turns out he's not quite good enough, then he should never have been appointed in the first place, and those responsible for appointing him should consider their position?
That's not what I said is it.

I don't quite get why this is such a radical thing to say, how come Matt Taylor has to be held accountable for his perceived failures but those above him largely aren't?

I dont actually think he will be sacked which throws up another set of arguments and conversations.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's not what I said is it.
Actually I do believe it was. Never mind though as I seem to remember, please correct me if I'm wrong, but city are your second team? You have another you support? If that's so then I guess it must help dull the pain of having chosen us with our trust system that you seem to dislike so much.

Antony Moxey

Moxey, why dont you bog off! Stop turning every thread you get involved with into an argument! Upsetting everybody.
Shut up you absolute dullard.

i8cornwall

Actually I do believe it was. Never mind though as I seem to remember, please correct me if I'm wrong, but city are your second team? You have another you support? If that's so then I guess it must help dull the pain of having chosen us with our trust system that you seem to dislike so much.
Ah see so close Geoff to getting one right there but yet again your wrong.

I'm sure the city tattoo I've got must be the give away that Bolton would be my second team, you know Bolton that won promotion to league one under far more difficult circumstances then city last season.

If you could point out were I said Matt shouldn't have got the job or anything about the trust in that above post that be great, I'll give you some time to find it, which you won't.

C j phill

Bit strange this. On two counts. We are not out of it yet, by along way. Covid and injuries are effecting us but so is inconsistency (again!).
The second thing is Taylor is under no pressure because he doesn’t answer to an owner who wants a return on his or her investment. It’s the safest job in football. The Trust/Board don’t have the stomach to sack him or probably have the money to pay him off immediately. Also it would suddenly create a vacuum in the way the Club is set up and run. It’s very mutually beneficial just to keep things as they are. No one likes change or making difficult decisions that may or may not change things. The only thing that would derail everything would be if sellable players from the academy dried up and the tick over money stopped. We wouldn’t immediately run out of money but with the huge investment in the training ground just signed off by the Boards it could unravel quickly.
Taylor just has to better last season’s finish or would anything else be a backward step considering the backing in the squad building and things like the improvement in the pitch which was continually mentioned as holding us back.
I think the last sentence is the critical point.

Are we progressing on the pitch and has this been continual since the manager's appointment?

If the answer is yes, there's no problem. If the answer is no, it would be helpful to know why not, so that we can judge whether there are elements outside of the management team's control which have impacted on progress, and I wouldn't accept budget/coronavirus as reasons, when comparing our performance to that of, say, Morecambe re budget and all other clubs re covid.

SaintJames

Given that most posters agree that there are almost no circumstance to see the Manager getting sacked exactly what is the point of the thread? Just saying like :)

geoffwp

Ah see so close Geoff to getting one right there but yet again your wrong.

I'm sure the city tattoo I've got must be the give away that Bolton would be my second team, you know Bolton that won promotion to league one under far more difficult circumstances then city last season.

If you could point out were I said Matt shouldn't have got the job or anything about the trust in that above post that be great, I'll give you some time to find it, which you won't.
All implied.
Anyway, I've never understood all this first team and second team nonsense. Only ever one team for me otherwise it all becomes diluted and meaningless. You're already comparing and contrasting the two. I'm also not sure what on earth a tattoo has to do with any of it either. I'm pretty certain there must be a lot of people going about with tattooed names they wish they could get rid of.
I happen to completely support the trust, its vision and its ethos. Any success the club has on the pitch must for me be within those parameters.

i8cornwall

All implied.
Anyway, I've never understood all this first team and second team nonsense. Only ever one team for me otherwise it all becomes diluted and meaningless. You're already comparing and contrasting the two. I'm also not sure what on earth a tattoo has to do with any of it either. I'm pretty certain there must be a lot of people going about with tattooed names they wish they could get rid of.
I happen to completely support the trust, its vision and its ethos. Any success the club has on the pitch must for me be within those parameters.
Nothing was implied at all, if we are trust owned then surely the people who run the club should also be accountable for there decisions and not just when elections roll around or id hope have they would have a back bone and go of there own accord.

Not that I believe Matt Taylor will ever be sacked regardless of what happens this season, next season or any season for that matter so it's all just pie in sky stuff.

I'm not quite sure what me supporting two teams or your undying loyalty to the trust has to do with Matt Taylor but you brought it up but regdless as you have, i've only ever supported the two clubs, having family from two different places and growing up in a third would probably do that to a person so it's nothing new, plus when I was growing up Bolton and city were lightyears apart and I'm sure this will be the case again in the next few years.

i8cornwall

Given that most posters agree that there are almost no circumstance to see the Manager getting sacked exactly what is the point of the thread? Just saying like :)
Could probably say that for 90% of threads on here.