• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

i8cornwall

Out of interest, what groups are not included in the Grecian Group meetings? As what you have described seems to be exactly what the Grecian Groups meetings are.
from my past experience it was only “official groups” Involved in those meetings, by this I mean the RL was never invited as we where never an “official group” when compared to the east Devon Grecians or North Devon Grecians for example. I’m not sure the Student group has ever been invited to these meetings either.

I’m happy to be corrected on the official groups thing and students mind.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I were the Trust treasurer you know who I would spend more time trying to engage with and provide value to? (1) People who currently donate or have previously donated (2) People who have never donated and show no interest in donating.

The first group would be far more important to me because they are the people who are going to give me money to develop the club with. The second group I cant do anything about, so why waste energy/time persuading them? There is of course a third group of people who would potentially donate money to the Trust but either arent aware of it or are not engaged enough to donate - they would be pretty important to me as well although it's harder to identify and categorise those people because you inherently arent aware of them.
Indeed. It's impossible to enrol people who you cannot communicate with, they are the unknown unknowns.

And as John Wanamaker said, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half”

Andy Holloway

so do you believe Trust fans are more important then non trust members?

you didn’t say this I’ll admit but just interested.
Neither is more important than the other, but they are different in that 'Trust fans' also contribute to the ownership of the club through their monthly subs/donations. While 'fans' contribute to the club by turning up and paying their hard earned dosh to watch games, buy refreshments etc, etc. But neither is more important than the other, as each contributes in their own way. Some just choose to contribute in a different way than the other.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, we recognised the dilemma and the discussion at the first meeting, which took some time, covered all of the conflicts that most people would be able to identify. We were talking about an issue where it was very difficult to reach a fully correct answer, hence our initial resolution.
Appreciate you answering that my friend, I still think i'd raise an eyebrow at this stance because of the conflict it involves (That being Skybet being the EFL sponsor)

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Neither is more important than the other, but they are different in that 'Trust fans' also contribute to the ownership of the club through their monthly subs/donations. While 'fans' contribute to the club by turning up and paying their hard earned dosh to watch games, buy refreshments etc, etc. But neither is more important than the other, as each contributes in their own way. Some just choose to contribute in a different way than the other.
Could you please tell someone else that? What you've said is perfectly fair and precise

Matt Russell

If you are a football team in the EFL, it isn't any individual Club's choice. Skybet are the EFL's sponsor.

i8cornwall

well said and think this is the truth. it wasn’t meant as a loaded question or anything I was just interested to hear the views of someone who is often a defender of the trust in these discussions.

Cygnus

This whole debate around the club accepting any kind of sponsorship from gambling companies is full of contridictions. As the club run a very successful 50/50 ticket draw at every match, which raises valuable funds for the Acedemy and promotes it heavily on match days, so the Trust and board can’t support this, which is a gamble for everyone buying a ticket and then take the moral high ground turning down potential gambling sponsorship. It’s double standards however you spin it and if we as a club are against gambling, then we shouldn’t continue with the 50/50 draw.

I’d be interested to hear the views of Nick Hawker on this, who doesn’t seem to interact on Exeweb, which is disappointing really from the Trust Chair, who as I have said previously on this thread I do think is a good guy and we are lucky to have him as Chairman.

dommers

Why don't you ring up the head of commercial and ask him yourself.
I think I'd be on the phone too long going through all your posts.

Matt Russell

When 50% of any money goes to a "good cause" it does feel ever so slightly different though, doesn't it?