• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why Are So Few Other Clubs Trust Owned?

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Makes me immensely proud about our wonderful club. I don't think we've ever been in a better position both on and off the pitch, the ground has never looked better and we're about to get promoted. I genuinely feel sorry for some other club fans who watch on in despair as another charlatan wrecks their club through ego and dodgy dealings. I think our model is the future.
Couldn't agree more. I also think that any Oligarks or Saudis with blood on their hands need to **** off out of English Football.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't agree more. I also think that any Oligarks or Saudis with blood on their hands need to **** off out of English Football.
TBF Suzi, Looking at the PL (Where most of the foriegn owned clubs are) and L2 is like chalk and cheese, No comparision except the ball is the same shape. Even the defunct ESL project will happen because money talks and if the idea is tweaked to promote and relegate it'll be there soon enough. As for Trust run clubs being the main then you're asking for fans to dip into their pockets and in large numbers and amounts and you'd have to have a large fanbase to keep up with the costs of running a club because the last thing i want are clubs with just as successful Academy as ours in competition with ours, The Academy is our USP and our main source of generating income because being in L2 isn't, We get crumbs in money from being in L2 and our fanbase is not big enough to sustain the club on its own paying a min of £2 per month.

Where would you find a club/board as patient as ours in the EFL? We know when we employ a manager they have to get what being a trust run club means, The community, The Acadmey etc and the financial restrictions that it brings, I just don't think it would work for the majority of clubs, This season we're doing great, On and off the pitch but we know it can change very quickly, Bad run of results, No gems to sell to keep the money coming it, Going to the PFA for a loan. Look what happens to a manager when they lose two or three games in a row, Its the chop for them. Finacially we're in a purple patch but the OW benefits won't last forever and then we have to find some new gems to sell, I hear on here that there are a few youngsters who look good but they have to get into the 1st team first, Impress on a consistant basis then hopefully be sold to a bigger club and we get a good fee plus a decent sell on too, All this takes time and how many clubs give that time to develop players? Not many because the fans "Demand" success as soon as.

I think we should just keep what we're doing, Keep learning from it and let others worry how they run their clubs, As some have said going privately owned is not on the agenda, The Trust will be running the club for the foreseeable the best we can hope for is that those holding the reins of our club keep it going, Improve what we have so we can achieve the very best and highest position in the league ladder as possible.

gilbertshoot

Does make me cringe when these dodgy autocrat regimes with terrible human rights records can buy so much influence and as long as palms are being greased the authorities look the other way.

DB9

Does make me cringe when these dodgy autocrat regimes with terrible human rights records can buy so much influence and as long as palms are being greased the authorities look the other way.
I think you'll find that these Autocrat Regimes don't buy influence when buying football clubs, They buy influence on a political level, I think owning a club is the perfect place for them to clean their dirty money.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
TBF Suzi, Looking at the PL (Where most of the foriegn owned clubs are) and L2 is like chalk and cheese, No comparision except the ball is the same shape. Even the defunct ESL project will happen because money talks and if the idea is tweaked to promote and relegate it'll be there soon enough. As for Trust run clubs being the main then you're asking for fans to dip into their pockets and in large numbers and amounts and you'd have to have a large fanbase to keep up with the costs of running a club because the last thing i want are clubs with just as successful Academy as ours in competition with ours, The Academy is our USP and our main source of generating income because being in L2 isn't, We get crumbs in money from being in L2 and our fanbase is not big enough to sustain the club on its own paying a min of £2 per month.

Where would you find a club/board as patient as ours in the EFL? We know when we employ a manager they have to get what being a trust run club means, The community, The Acadmey etc and the financial restrictions that it brings, I just don't think it would work for the majority of clubs, This season we're doing great, On and off the pitch but we know it can change very quickly, Bad run of results, No gems to sell to keep the money coming it, Going to the PFA for a loan. Look what happens to a manager when they lose two or three games in a row, Its the chop for them. Finacially we're in a purple patch but the OW benefits won't last forever and then we have to find some new gems to sell, I hear on here that there are a few youngsters who look good but they have to get into the 1st team first, Impress on a consistant basis then hopefully be sold to a bigger club and we get a good fee plus a decent sell on too, All this takes time and how many clubs give that time to develop players? Not many because the fans "Demand" success as soon as.

I think we should just keep what we're doing, Keep learning from it and let others worry how they run their clubs, As some have said going privately owned is not on the agenda, The Trust will be running the club for the foreseeable the best we can hope for is that those holding the reins of our club keep it going, Improve what we have so we can achieve the very best and highest position in the league ladder as possible.
What I find particularly satisfying is that this season we have a team that is not only made up of players who have been signed using the profits from previous player sales but also half the first team are regularly made up of acadamy products. It shows that you by developing players you can both be successful financially and on the pitch as well.

DB9

What I find particularly satisfying is that this season we have a team that is not only made up of players who have been signed using the profits from previous player sales but also half the first team are regularly made up of acadamy products. It shows that you by developing players you can both be successful financially and on the pitch as well.
It can be but (There's always a but) it's not guaranteed, We all know that and accept it but the thread is asking why we're in the minority running the club this way and why aren't there many others because loads have been shafted? BTW I share your satisfaction this season and very proud of how so many former Academy lads are doing so well here with us and at other clubs too.

Avening Posse

I was referring to England only, hence reference to the 92 League Clubs...
I know, I was just being cheeky !

Martin Weiler

The OP was clearly referring to England hence reference to the 92. As far as I am concerned and Football is concerned Scotland is another country.
Just one point - England and the 92 are not the same thing when it comes to the EFL. There are 3 EFL teams in Wales and one of those is fan owned - Newport County. Surprised they haven’t been mentioned so far.

DB9

Just one point - England and the 92 are not the same thing when it comes to the EFL. There are 3 EFL teams in Wales and one of those is fan owned - Newport County. Surprised they haven’t been mentioned so far.
The OP says "Why so few clubs" not just ours as that would not be true, Its a tiny minority that are fans owned. You're right though, There are 3 Welsh clubs in the EFL but they're still part of the ENGLISH football league.

One possibility might be, after we have finished paying for the infrastructure to bring us into the 21st century (eg ground, pitch, training ground etc.), perhaps we could follow the Brentford MoneyBall thing where we invest in the squad (heaven forbid) and we groom players and sell them on for a profit which is reinvested in the squad. Obviously, when you do this in the Championship, the rewards are greater, like Brentford did, but they had to start somewhere. This way we wouldn't have to rely on our Academy, to keep unearthing gems, though I hope that this continues and we could bring in talented youngsters like Callum Rowe and sell them for a profit. Perhaps we are on that road already?