• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Which player has most successfully proved City wrong in releasing them?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
My understanding is that his parents were moving up to the Bristol area and he did not want to live away from home. That was the reason he was "released".
the article by City on the City website at the time about Cam Hargreaves said that the club coaches had an early discussion with him and his parents, saying that they thought it might not happen for him at City, so were delighted that he got fixed up elsewhere (in the academy where his dad was working)

Langer

By his own admission Norwood said he attitude as a junior player was poor.
The biggest injustice was Geoff Breslin never played in the top flight 😉

IBA

I was told, many years ago, that King got his girlfriend pregnant. Our manager at the time was Colin Appleton, who was a bit 'old school ' in this regard and thought that this was terrible. Hence he wanted King gone...
Pity, as he was a classy full back.
I heard the same from one of the Exe-directory crew

IBA

The clearest example of the OP for me is James Coppinger, who shone in a poorly performing team, JC was at ECFC for 5 minutes, and became a legend at Donny Rovers for like 20 years!!!

Rosencrantz

The clearest example of the OP for me is James Coppinger, who shone in a poorly performing team, JC was at ECFC for 5 minutes, and became a legend at Donny Rovers for like 20 years!!!
Except of course that we did not release Copps. He was out of contract and moved for £30k.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jimmy Keohane is playing regularly with Rochdale in L1 at the moment, having been released 5 or 6 years ago.
Did we "release" him or did he want to go? This says he was offered new terms in 2015, so he must have decided not to stay?

Exeter City retain list 2015 - News - Exeter City FC

Banksy

Probably Seymour after he’s released at the end of his current contract. Just imagine him going to Argyle and scoring twenty goals in his first season.🤡

Oldsmobile-88

Except of course that we did not release Copps. He was out of contract and moved for £30k.
Yep...He was never going to sign a new contract for the Grecians.

grecIAN Harris

Poor old Ian, still trying to back up his claim that Mackie was a failed winger!

For the record after leaving Jamie Mackie went on to play 60 premiership games, 198 in the championshp and 76 in league 1, playing for 5 different teams.

How could they all have been so wrong? 😄
Mackie had the one thing that Norwood didn't.............. desire and a great work ethic.

fred binneys head

Mackie had the one thing that Norwood didn't.............. desire and a great work ethic.
That’s two things.