• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Which player has most successfully proved City wrong in releasing them?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was told, many years ago, that King got his girlfriend pregnant. Our manager at the time was Colin Appleton, who was a bit 'old school ' in this regard and thought that this was terrible. Hence he wanted King gone...
Pity, as he was a classy full back.
King was offered a new contract from what I remember....The girlfriend/wife(I think he was married)was used by the player as the excuse to move closer to Bristol,hence Appleton’s ire when he moved to Torquay.

Oldsmobile-88

Brendon O'connell did very well after we released him. Did well for Barnsley in the second tier, IIRC.
Great player..A real mistake letting him go.He went in the 1988 clearout..

budegrecian

Anybody with half a braincell could see Norwood had potential. He just needed guiding as a person.
Remember Steve Perryman saying that he had Premiership ability but by the time he realised it it would be too late.

budegrecian

King was offered a new contract from what I remember....The girlfriend/wife(I think he was married)was used by the player as the excuse to move closer to Bristol,hence Appleton’s ire when he moved to Torquay.
Probably more accurate than what I was told.

grecIAN Harris

Remember Steve Perryman saying that he had Premiership ability but by the time he realised it it would be too late.
He was always better than Jamie Mackie.😜

Oldsmobile-88

Craig Taylor,Shaun’s younger brother had a decent career after being released..
Swindon,Argyle & Torquay with a couple of £25k transfer fees inbetween.

Oldsmobile-88

Dixie McNeil.
He was before my time watching the Grecians,but I remember him playing for Lincoln,Hereford & Wrexham.
His phenomenal scoring record got both Hereford & Wrexham promotion to the old 2nd Division.

jack101

it should be noted that Norwood was released when we were in league 1 and then spent 7 seasons in the conference before playing in the football league again. Probably wasn’t a wrong decision at the time but he has worked hard and developed into a very good player.

Rosencrantz

He was always better than Jamie Mackie.😜
Just a shame his attitude wasn't 😉

grecIAN Harris

Just a shame his attitude wasn't 😉
Which is what I said.....