• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What's the most Grecians have taken away ?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Awe. How sweet mate. You must have looked a treat clumping around in the clinker in your white stilettoes. (Mind you, the fake tan probably saved the home club a fortune in floodlighting costs) :p
I remember on another trip to Colchester.I missed the turning for the ground & deciding to take a short cut through the Army Base(no barriers back then.Just a sign saying No Admittance)
Big mistake it was around the time of hightened security after a few IRA attacks on military personnel in Holland & West Germany,before I knew it I had 2 squaddies pointing SLRs at my car..I quickly explained I had made a mistake in my navigation(probably blamed my passenger 😁) & did a sharpish 3 point turn 🤣

Red Devon

This is going to get a like from most of those who were there... Lowest I can remember on an away end was five at Hull once. Usually there were a few in the stand too though.

Never been to Hull so not one of em!

Red Devon

Beats my 7 at Colchester 😎....Loads at Darlington for the midweeker in 87/88 by comparison.13 on the minibus.You were on that one Tim.
In fact I think I can name most of them 😁

I went to a couple of the Friday nighters at Colchester four of us went up in my car 85/86 and a small minibus possibly a 12 seater in 86/87😀 both 1:1 draws.

Oldsmobile-88

I went to a couple of the Friday nighters at Colchester four of us went up in my car 85/86 and a small minibus possibly a 12 seater in 86/87😀 both 1:1 draws.
I had forgetten that Colchester used to play on a Friday night,both of my visits to Layer Rd in the 80s were on that day.

Here's the article. I've had to play with the formatting so apologies if it comes out a bit wonky. I'll leave it here as i wasn't sure where to put it on the Memories forum but feel free to move it:

Gazing over the heaving masses at the Anfield Road end during our Cup replay with Liverpool led me to look into the other great City migrations over the years. I took 2,000 travelling fans as a starting point and expected some key games from the distant past to feature comfortably. The promotion party at Lincoln in 1990? No, only 1,500 there, although admittedly this was according to the Express & Error. The “last ever” City game at Northampton in 1995? No, just over a 1,000 City there according to the Northampton Chronicle on the following Monday. Funny how the memory plays tricks on you.

So what were the biggest turnouts of City fans on tour? Well, comfortably out in front was our first appearance at Wembley in the play-off final in May 2007: 30,000 fans – or maybe I should say 30,000 people bought tickets in the City end. The combination of circumstances means that we will surely never see a City away following like that again. The play-off final the following year bought
rather fewer tourists, with 19,650 City there.

After that we come to the Cup games against the First Division/Premiershit teams. The top one, of course, is the Manchester United game that saved the club in 2005. I’ve found two figures quoted here: 12,000 and 9,000. Either way, it stays at the number three spot. After that comes a series of other Cup games against showbiz opponents:

7 Mar 1981 Tottenham (FAC6) 7,500
20 Jan 2016 Liverpool (FAC3R) 6,400
4 Jan 2003 Charlton (FAC3) 3,000
30 Oct 1979 Liverpool (LC4) 3,000

It’s only in 8th place that we get to get our first League games, all famous occasions for one reason or another:

2 May 2009 Rotherham United (L2) 2,454
11 Dec 2010 Plymouth Argyle (L1) 2,230
8 Aug 2008 Leeds United (L1) 2,108

What surprised me was that for some of the mega Cup games of yesteryear, the City turnout was actually pretty modest by today’s standards:

5 Jan 1986 Everton (FAC3) 2,000
21 Dec 1999 Everton (FAC3R) 2,000
14 Feb 1981 Newcastle (FAC5) 2,000

For a couple of other games (Liverpool for the League Cup 2nd round 1st leg and Leicester City in the FA Cup 4th round, both in 1981), I couldn’t find stats for the City following. However, the total crowds for these games were 11,478 and 15,268 respectively and as I recall the City following was noisy at both, but certainly did not appear big in relation to the home support. I doubt that either of those topped the 2,000 mark.

Perhaps I missed off a few games, but it does seem that improvements in travel logistics, increased disposable income and the availability of the internet to buy tickets and make arrangements all seem to have conspired to make City on tour outings bigger affairs these days than they were in the past.

I’ve attended most of the above games myself and it certainly was impressive to see such an army on the march. The stadiums are often magnificent and there is a sense of occasion but, speaking personally, give me a thousand hardcore City fans at Crawley or Pompey any day!

Note: * All figures are based on contemporary press clippings or records kept at the time from official sources.

Absolutely, Matey! Saturday was awesome despite the loss but I love The People's Pension Stadium where I have spent a lot of time recently as I am working in Ol' Smoke! I love sticking it up my Crawley mate's ars$ when we fill their piddly little away end all the way up from Devon and go home with all three points at the final whistle like last November!

UTC

P.S. Glad I got that off my chest! Sorry!

Exehausted

Beats my 7 at Colchester 😎....Loads at Darlington for the midweeker in 87/88 by comparison.13 on the minibus.You were on that one Tim.
In fact I think I can name most of them 😁
Olds, was the 7 at Colchester on a Friday night in 1979? I was there. Perhaps I'm the one you can't name! Sorry, I've just seen your latest post and you were there in the 80's. Mine was definitely in 1979 because I was working there for that year only.

Exehausted

I was at the Leicester and Newcastle games and there was definitely more at Leicester.

I was at Doncaster Rovers on a Wednesday night in about 1981 and there must have been 10 of us at the most there. We lost 6-1 and then the copper on the way out couldn't resist taunting with "long trip home". Them weren't the days.
Talking of Doncaster, there was a fair few there in 1977 as we won 3-0 (I think) and clinched promotion. A figure of 1,500 rings a bell, but I can't get at my old copies of Rothmans book of football to check.

Oldsmobile-88

Talking of Doncaster, there was a fair few there in 1977 as we won 3-0 (I think) and clinched promotion. A figure of 1,500 rings a bell, but I can't get at my old copies of Rothmans book of football to check.
I looked up that game in the newspaper archive recently..I think I’m right in saying the figure was about 500,seem to recall that was the number given.

Exehausted

I looked up that game in the newspaper archive recently..I think I’m right in saying the figure was about 500,seem to recall that was the number given.
Well I'm sure you are right, it just seemed a hell of a lot at the time. It was a long time ago though. Were you at that one? We were brilliant that day. Again, I think it was the game after the remarkable comeback at Barnsley on the Wednesday when we were 3-0 down with 25 minutes or so left and we won 4-3! About the only advantage of getting old is that you have an awful lot to look back on!

Boyo

I recall there were only 11 of us at Halifax on a wet Friday night around the year 2000. Is that our smallest away support since the turn of the Millennium? I think we lost 1-0.