• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What's changed?

milts

The club and especially the team have lost all of its excitement and buzz.

Back in the Conference days, even when we were on ****e form, there was an atmosphere around the place. It felt the players and management cared about the club nearly as much as we do.

Yesterday was awful. The team lacks any passion, fight, commitment and most defiantly excitement.

The manager has never shown any of these, so no change there.

Tisdale said the players put in an awful lot of effort, but did they?

Do those 14 players actually give a **** whether we get promoted? Maybe a couple at most.

Bennet came through our youth team but ambles around like he couldn't give a ****. Compare his effort to that of Deano's when he was here.
Davies - waste of space on so many levels. Carlisle lacked ability but made up for it in effort. Davies lacks both.
Bauza - complete lack of effort.
Coles - captain hoofball with no leadership skills what so ever. I won't even bring Matt Taylor into this.

O'Flynn and D'Ath put effort in yesterday, but the service to them and their own individual quality was lacking.

Paul is stale

Says it all about the caliber of tisdale. If he thinks that's effort then it says it all. Infact every statement he's made this year has been a load of tripe. He cannot take criticism. I watched him yesterday arms folded. Maybe if he but as much thought into his tactics as he does in to his wardrobe we would see a different performance.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right lets be 100% honest. The simple fact of it is we are not as good as the first side that Tisdale built at the club, you look through that side and a good chunk are playing at a higher level. The side we have now though is pretty good for this level and when you lose the amount of quality from it then most sides at this level would struggle.

Our two Centre backs are not comfortable on the ball in the same way that the likes of Duffy, Henville and Taylor where which means we do not play from defence in the way we used to. When you are missing the likes of Oakley and Gow you also take out a large chunk of ball carriers who will pick a pass and play in a calm and measured way. Yesterday we needed one of those but we did not and we struggled.

Next season i believe we need to sign a leader and agree. because we need a Rob Edwards or Matt Taylor. You look through our sides that went from conference to lge 1 then they had a few great leaders in them and the quality of Ryan Harley.

Last edited:

Paul is stale

But even the side he played yesterday are talented enough to win games or even at worst draw at home. The simple fact is there have no mojo and even with god know how many coaches, perryman and tis at the helm we shouldn't be this bad. It's down to poor management. Who the hell plays 1 upfront long ball at home!! Especially against big defenders. I'm no manager but even I can see that's never going to work.

Boyo

Why is it that people always think players don't care and don't bother trying whenever we lose? The players were knackered and despondent at the end if the game yesterday.

The simple truth is we were not good enough to break Dagenham down. Why that's the case is a different debate, but it has nothing to do with lack of effort or desire!

Personally, I've only got to look at our injury list to understand why: Gow, Oakley, Sercombe, Amankwa, Cureton. They are probably our best 5 players.

Paul is stale

Gow and Oakley I agree with. Amankwah is an enigma, sercombe ain't what he used to be and cureton has missed so many chances! Argyle at home anyone! Play with what we have and use their strengths! Gosling would be a great winger so use him there! Even Davies has talent but I'm sure he gets told to float around and pass the ball backwards. Tis tells his players to soak the pressure up then smash the ball up the pitch! He must do, because thats what they do every week

Last edited:

FAN-TATIC

I am sorry, but the one thing that was not lacking yesterday was effort and commitment. They tried very hard to get something out of the game after the very unfortunate start. I'm no fan of Bauza, but he did put the effort in. What we lacked yesterday was skilful playmaking midfielders (save for The Doc) who could get hold of the ball and dictate the play.

The side where we had the likes of Matt Gill and Ryan Harley dictating the play were far superior to the side that we currently have available to us. That side built from be back, bringing the ball out of defence with smooth passing movements, continually probing the opposition's defence until a weakness was exposed. The players we had on the park yesterday simple do not have the skills to play that way. It was for this reason IMO that we reverted to the long ball game.

The players that had the required skills all went on to play at a much higher level. Taylor, Friend, Harley. Delano, Seabourne, Gill and not forgetting the loss of Sir Rob.

Having players injured can, in the main be absorbed in the short term. However, having the bulk of your quality creative players out injured from the engine of your team is a major blow. As a result the sides performance is bound to be adversely affected.

The team we are putting out at the moment simply are not good enough to maintain our push for promotion. I fear the biggest problem is that deep down inside they know it.

Last edited:

Paul is stale

The players left are good enough to go up but management need to play to their skills. Non of this boot and run when the players on the field arnt runners. Pass it about like the famous old city. Take ur time and build it from the back. Tisdale created that playstyle so why doesn't he keep to it! That was ths tisdale tactics I liked!! It worked

FAN-TATIC

Why is it that people always think players don't care and don't bother trying whenever we lose? The players were knackered and despondent at the end if the game yesterday.

The simple truth is we were not good enough.
Personally, I've only got to look at our injury list to understand why: Gow, Oakley, Sercombe, Amankwa, Cureton. They are probably our best 5 players.
I agree with most if this Boyo, save for the fact that Cureton is NOT out injured. He took his arse in his hand and stayed away because he was not selected to start. In short, Cureton does not give a toss for the team, for him, it's all about him. Gets himself intentionally sent off because he wasn't selected the previous week. Says it all!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not quite sure what to make of it all. Are we in the midsts of a change of cycle (as Tis likes to put it)? Or has, as the previous posters name suggest, Tis gone stale? We have been blitzed of our most inventive players at the most crucial time of the season which isn't going to help in any given situation. I do think that the lack of balance in the age spread across the squad isn't helping. We've either got kids coming through up to the age of 23 or we've got experienced pros the wrong side of 30. We've only Bauza and Davies in between, two players most Exewebbers would get rid of at an instance, who are experienced to carry the fight mentally whilst also being young enough to carry the fight physically but both by and large don't perform to an accepted level.
Have we been spoilt previously and had most of our good eggs come in one basket? I think most of us will be lucky to see the like of Ryan Harley again in a City shirt. Scrat, Matt Taylor, Deano, Gilly, Troy, Mackie, Goldbourne, Jones and even Dunney (even if it is only Satanage) have left us upwardly mobile. That's a good half of a first team squad.
Have we got the basis of a good squad coming through? For me Krysiak is better than Jones (a statement that is probably open to debate). I'm not sure about Moore-Taylor. He looked impressive the first time I saw him, wasn't so sure the second time. Sercs will come back better and stronger for being forced to sit and wait for his return until his body says it's ready rather than his head. Keohane appears that he has the ability to come through. Is Bennett an education away from being the new Rob Edwards? Defensively he can tackle and adds an ariel prowess to the middle of the park but seems incapable of being able to pass water let alone a football which is a must if he is going to play there. If he has the same desire to learn as Jamie Mackie then he may turn from water into wine. Gosling shows a lot of promise. Dawson I've heard good things about but haven't seen yet, the same with Reid.
Some of the other parts of jigsaw are here but will be replaced by those mentioned previously, Gow, Oakley and the Doc, but there are others who we don't appear to have any new options for, three parts of the back four, Curo..........
There are always going to be peaks and troughs at City. It's just the way it is but because, for once, we've had a good manager our peaks have been much higher than the norm so the troughs seem to be even worse but in reality aren't. Look at this season. Alright we aren't playing the pretty attractive football that we've got used to under Tis but we're still in the play-offs yet most are moaning.
For me the biggest factor that needs addressing is still outside of the actual football itself with the running/ownership of the club. The feel good factor in that has been lost big time. 'We own our football' but do we really? It strikes me it's much like politics in there now. Those in or wanting to get in go around singing the right tunes to gain the position but ultimately are going in with their own agenda and have no real interest of listening to the people who put them there. This why progression isn't happening off the field and whilst it's not happening off the field it's going to stunt at best and drag down at worst progression on the pitch. A lot of you gob off at what you can immeadiately see but maybe should look a bit deeper to find the root cause. The Trust as a whole really needs to have a very hard look at what is going on in and around them.