• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What year did you first watch or take a interest in The Grecians ?

23 February 2016, aged 17 at the time, Exeter 1-4 Oxford. I wasn't that interested in football before my mid-teens.

Fareham Grecian

My first game was standing in the cowshed for the Newcastle Cup game. Easy to understand why I was hooked.

Sadly my second game was a truly awful rainy 0-0 against someone like Halifax. But once you are hooked, you are hooked...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Midweek match v Notts Co. 1967 I think. Stood behind the goal in St James Rd end and although I'd been to matches at Plainmoor, Home Park and Dean Court before there was never going to be another club for me.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
February 1948. Went to see the great Tommy Lawton playing for Notts Co. Sat on the wall between the Big Bank and the Cowshed. Big disappointment as Tommy was ill and didn't play!
Wow! 72 years. Fair play. What’s been your favourite era?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
February 1989. 3-0 home win vs Burnley.

Timed it just right as the next season was the Div 4 title winning season. I didn’t see us lose until August 1990 vs Reading, which came as a huge shock!

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
1991. It was a dull 0-0 draw at home to stoke. The only thing I can remember about the game was that peter fox was in goal for stoke. My next game was a couple of years later and the one that got me hooked. 2-1 at home to hartlepool with a gary worthington injury time winner.

Last edited:

ryancooper327

Late 90s the odd games as a kid then regularly from 2008ish.

robchave

Long old season that was rob!
Just seemed like it in those days!
I noticed that, but too late to edit.

older-codger

Wow! 72 years. Fair play. What’s been your favourite era?
Difficult one really as favourite doesn't necessarily equal successful. Possibly the 50's when I was just keen on football for the game and money wasn't the driving factor, with the players playing more for the love of the game and there were more characters. Championship season was good for the quality and the obvious success. Worst was certainly the Gerry Francis era when I gave up for a while. Stood on the big bank against Bristol Rovers after a dreadful performance, watching an attempted invasion of the cowshed from the away end and found myself thinking what on earth am I doing here!

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
May 1st 1971, Notts County away in front of 18,000 delirious home fans as they had clinched the 4th Div title. I was 15 and travelled by train from my Brummie home, can't remember too much about it but it ended 1-1.
Although I have no connection with Exeter, I had been interested in the Grecians since the late 60's after seeing reports of that epic 6-3 defeat at spurs and seeing the game against Man Utd on match of the day. I have been to many games over the years since but sadly other interests now have taken me away from watching the game and my last live match was at Crewe in 2016.