• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What happened to free speech on Exeweb?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought "Freedon of Speech" meant you can say something, Even if it makes someone wince and be offended but what you can't say as "Freedom of Speech" is something that is horrendous and inciting someone to act upon becuase of what you say?
The person on the receiving end has their own rights, separate to any right to freedom of speech. If, for example, you called Lenny Henry a <non racial profanity> then you'd probably be ok. If you called him a black <non racial profanity>, probably not. The second example unnecessarily introduces race and could be considered hate speech which is covered by its own laws.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Out of interest, What do you mean by that? Genuine question
It's the 'shouting "fire" in a crowded room' conundrum. Is that "free speech" or behaviour that should be stamped on?

In the USA it's a much discussed topic because the text of their First Amendment is very badly worded for modern circumstances (and arguably even at the time).

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Note that it only says that Congress cannot make laws about it, not that it's a completely inalienable right. As with much of the US constitution it give people on both sides openings to argue it either way. The same applies to the Second Amendment, which does not say that there is an unfettered right to bear arms - the word "infringed" at the time meant "not unreasonably constrained". The question then is what is "arms" means and what is reasonable.

LOG

I hope you rule on Flounces with equal deference Lionel.
I hope so. The Committee's motto is "Firmus but Fairus" after all.

DB9

The person on the receiving end has their own rights, separate to any right to freedom of speech. If, for example, you called Lenny Henry a <non racial profanity> then you'd probably be ok. If you called him a black <non racial profanity>, probably not. The second example unnecessarily introduces race and could be considered hate speech which is covered by its own laws.
Exactly right, There are laws to protect in the example you have used and quite right too but nowadays that narrative is being more and more stretched to include things that are controversial

DB9

It's the 'shouting "fire" in a crowded room' conundrum. Is that "free speech" or behaviour that should be stamped on?

In the USA it's a much discussed topic because the text of their First Amendment is very badly worded for modern circumstances (and arguably even at the time).

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Note that it only says that Congress cannot make laws about it, not that it's a completely inalienable right. As with much of the US constitution it give people on both sides openings to argue it either way. The same applies to the Second Amendment, which does not say that there is an unfettered right to bear arms - the word "infringed" at the time meant "not unreasonably constrained". The question then is what is "arms" means and what is reasonable.
I don't think using the American system as an example holds up in the UK, We are two different nations

Rosencrantz

Exactly right, There are laws to protect in the example you have used and quite right too but nowadays that narrative is being more and more stretched to include things that are controversial
Worth remembering that in the not so far past any racial, sexist or homophobic discrimination that we would all (bar a few) agree is not right now would have been seen as controversial. Time will tell if the current controversial becomes tomorrows norms or not.

Rosencrantz

I don't think using the American system as an example holds up in the UK, We are two different nations
The US is a foreign country and culture who happen to share a common language with us. We do have a special relationship (normally when there is a crisis and it suits them) but we are culturally probably more closer to Germany and the Scandinavian countries.

DB9

Worth remembering that in the not so far past any racial, sexist or homophobic discrimination that we would all (bar a few) agree is not right now would have been seen as controversial. Time will tell if the current controversial becomes tomorrows norms or not.
I wouldn't say that what you quoted were controversial, It was pure discrimination and laws needed to be brought in and no one said it infringed their freedom of speech, We moved on as a society

Andy Holloway

I'm sure, no i know, that Ed is 'big enough and daft enough' to stand up for himself and certainly doesn't need the Exeweb Minders [thought police], to fight his corner for him.
Considering the tone of 70% of Exeweb posts i find it highly amusing, as i'm sure Ed did, and a bit pathetic, that some people got their knickers in such a twist from, what any normal person, would have realised was written in a light hearted manner and usually one of Ed's descriptions, to it's literal meaning, but hey ho some people need to lighten up in this dark time for everyone. Me i'm going back to writing my scripts for comedy shows, it's more appreciated and pays the bills!

DB9

I'm sure, no i know, that Ed is 'big enough and daft enough' to stand up for himself and certainly doesn't need the Exeweb Minders [thought police], to fight his corner for him.
Considering the tone of 70% of Exeweb posts i find it highly amusing, as i'm sure Ed did, and a bit pathetic, that some people got their knickers in such a twist from, what any normal person, would have realised was written in a light hearted manner and usually one of Ed's descriptions, to it's literal meaning, but hey ho some people need to lighten up in this dark time for everyone. Me i'm going back to writing my scripts for comedy shows, it's more appreciated and pays the bills!
Blimey Andy, You could get loads of material for a comedy just by reading Exeweb 👍🤣🤣